This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Well.. Thyroid Test Is Fine.

BrittLoves2Run

BrittLoves2Run Apprentice

Well. I had my blood work done on Thursday for Celiac and thyroid. They called me this morning to tell me my Thyroid blood work was normal. As much as I should be relieved, this was the only other thing I could find that made sense for all the symptoms I

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Get copies of the results. Tsh levels are controversial. Better docs want them around 3, but some labs will report them as "normal" at 5. You have to get a copy to see if your lab reports at 3 or 5 normal.

Same with Celiac panel. Get a copy to see what was run and results.

Get copies of the results. Tsh levels are controversial. Better docs want them around 3, but some labs will report them as "normal" at 5. You have to get a copy to see if your lab reports at 3 or 5 normal.

Same with Celiac panel. Get a copy to see what was run and results.

She said they would send something to me in the mail about my thyroid blood work. I am also waiting on the Celiac stuff. I can't understand why it would take 4-5 days, but I'm probably just being impatient.

nora-n Rookie

normal TSH is very close to 1, and free t4 and free t3 are around the middle or higher.

But there have been severely hypothyroid patients with a TSH of 1,6 and or free t4 of 17 (10-20)

A TSH of 3 is way too high for normal

normal TSH is very close to 1, and free t4 and free t3 are around the middle or higher.

But there have been severely hypothyroid patients with a TSH of 1,6 and or free t4 of 17 (10-20)

No idea what any of those numbers/letters mean! :) I will post to you guys what I find when I get the results in the mail.

Nora, are you in the UK? Are the ranges different there? Do they treat to achieve different optimal levels?

Some labs in the US still report tsh .5-5.5 normal. Others up to 3 is normal. Progressive doctors will want a hypo patient close to 1, but everyone is different.

What is very common is that a doc goes by the lab range and won't treat you unless its out of range.

So, gets the labs and see.

I have felt good at 5, 3, and 1 and even hyper once. I was given supplaments at 5.6. I've also felt like road kill at 1.

Meds helped me alot, but in the end it was the gluten. It always seem to be the dang gluten...

Well, I got my letter in the mail for my thyroid. Says my TSH is 4.5 with a range of 0.4-5.5

Should I be concerned?

Also, Is Celiac testing more likely to take longer? I got the thyroid and Celiac panel done on the same day. I had the results the next day (although I just got the mailing today) but I'm still waiting to hear about the Celiac 5 days out. Could this be a sign they are looking into something?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

I don't know. I know my genetic Celiac test took a long time.

My son's panel took a little over a week.

I'd talk to your doctor about your tests and ask for thyroid antibody tests. If he refuses, find a new dic if you think its the issue or want to pursue it.

Some docs would be suspicious at your levels especially with symptoms.

I don't know. I know my genetic Celiac test took a long time.

My son's panel took a little over a week.

I'd talk to your doctor about your tests and ask for thyroid antibody tests. If he refuses, find a new dic if you think its the issue or want to pursue it.

Some docs would be suspicious at your levels especially with symptoms.

Actually JUST got a phone call. My doctor said my Celiac Panel was POSITIVE!! He said the # was very high and very indicative of Celiac. I'm SO freaking happy to just have an answer!

Well, I'm very happy you have an idea what is going on!

Are you going to get an endoscopy? Remember, you must stay in gluten til its over.

Btw, ask for thyroid antibody and vitamin panels: full iron/ferritin, b's, d, k, calcium, magnesium. You are likely low one one or more and want to get ahead of it.

mushroom Proficient

Well, a TSH of 4.5 is definitely today considered to be abnormal, not normal. It should be no higher than 3 and preferably lower as pricklypear and Nora have stated. I am not a thyroid expert but you do need your free T3 and free T4 checked, as well as TPO. Nora will probably be able to provide you with a reference to print out and take to your doctor (I will look for it in the meantime) because you are either going to have to convince him/her or go to another doctor, I think.

(eited to add: Here is a link from About.com: Open Original Shared Link

Well, I'm very happy you have an idea what is going on!

Are you going to get an endoscopy? Remember, you must stay in gluten til its over.

Btw, ask for thyroid antibody and vitamin panels: full iron/ferritin, b's, d, k, calcium, magnesium. You are likely low one one or more and want to get ahead of it.

The instruction from my doctor tonight was to go immediatley gluten-free for 2 months and make an appointment with him in about 2 months. I know normally you have an endoscopy.. but I think I will do this for now. I got the positive results. I don't know that I really want to do the endoscopy right now anyway. I'm already drowning in medical bills. Is there any reason I should NOT skip it?

mushroom Proficient

The current progressive thinking among doctors is that if your blood tests are really highly positive you can skip the endoscopy. If you need it later because they suspect something else, being gluten free will not affect those results. The only results being gluten free affects in the biopsy is celiac :)

I still think you need to follow up on your thyroid, though. :(

The instruction from my doctor tonight was to go immediatley gluten-free for 2 months and make an appointment with him in about 2 months. I know normally you have an endoscopy.. but I think I will do this for now. I got the positive results. I don't know that I really want to do the endoscopy right now anyway. I'm already drowning in medical bills. Is there any reason I should NOT skip it?

Ask your doctor if he plans on asking you to do one after the 2 month trial. If he says yes 1) find a new doc 2) tell him no, if you want it you must do it now. Ask if he now considers you Celisc or will dx you based on bloodwork and challenge (or inability to challenge more likely).

You probably do have Celiac, and once you are off gluten you probably will be unable to go back on it.

Just make sure you get whatever dx you need and want, because you rarely can go back and do it over (even if you want to).

nora-n Rookie

wow that is an outdated range for thyroid, since above 3 is hypothyroid together with symptoms. Normal TSH is from 0,3-1,5, and typically very close to 1.

If you go to a doctor with D.O. (doctor of osteopathy, typical family practice) they usually looka t hte whole picture with symptoms and normal ranges.

wow that is an outdated range for thyroid, since above 3 is hypothyroid together with symptoms. Normal TSH is from 0,3-1,5, and typically very close to 1.

If you go to a doctor with D.O. (doctor of osteopathy, typical family practice) they usually looka t hte whole picture with symptoms and normal ranges.

I have a doctor appointment at 2 today.

beachbirdie Contributor

Well, I got my letter in the mail for my thyroid. Says my TSH is 4.5 with a range of 0.4-5.5

Should I be concerned?

Also, Is Celiac testing more likely to take longer? I got the thyroid and Celiac panel done on the same day. I had the results the next day (although I just got the mailing today) but I'm still waiting to hear about the Celiac 5 days out. Could this be a sign they are looking into something?

I was very sick with my TSH at 4.5. I can't function if mine goes over 2.0. It would be a good idea to get your levels of free thyroid hormone (FT3 and FT4). Those will tell you if your thyroid is lagging.

Archived