Pauliewog

Delayed Reaction: Only Me?

Rate this topic

Hi all,

I am new to the forum and have been mostly lurking and trying to learn from others. I am still undiagnosed but go back to the doctor for final set of blood results tomorrow. I have had two weird incidents and I wonder if others react like this.

In early Jan. I went gluten free for a week. I know I wasn't supposed to before blood tests but I was curious! I felt better but knew the blood test was coming up in a week so I went back to gluten. Four days after eating gluten again (nothing extreme, just my "ordinary" diet) I spent a day vomiting. It was the first time since my stomach issues began back in Oct. that I actually threw up.

After those blood tests were done I went back to eating gluten free. After about 3 weeks off gluten I talked to the doctor about eating gluten again to see what would happen. I ate a gluten lunch and dinner and did so knowing the following day I had off because I was fully prepared to be sick! I wasn't. I had a headache and some pain under my left rib (sometimes happens). Other than that I was fine. I went back to gluten free. Then 3 days after my gluten meals, after I was again eating gluten free, I was hit with a day of vomiting again. I never felt nauseous, I just had to throw up all the time. It was horrible.

To me, this seems obviously related to gluten. What I wonder is why it took so long (3 days) before I really got sick. If this is the case, it will be hard for me to ever know if I was accidentally ate gluten. Has anyone else ever had a reaction like this?

Thanks.

One of my reactions is within minutes, while some others do take days to manifest. So yes, it does happen, and there have been posts by others here about this sort of thing. It's not all that rare, really.

I have almost the same issue, my symptoms dont usually happen right away - almost 18 hours later my stomach will cramp/turn and ill feel horrrrible for a day or so (after eating a large amount of gluten like pasta). I was gluten free for over a week and I felt amazing, no headaches, no stomach issues, normal digestion, no heartburn, the list goes on and on but I almost never have immediate issues except with Dairy that stuff kills me instantly but has no lasting effects.

i have noticed since i quit eating gluten that if i do eat it, a large amount of it, i'm fine for about 24 hours, then the burning, churning pain starts up. the second time i ate gluten, the next day i was vomiting and thought i was going to pass out in the mall! it was as bad or worse than it ever was! and then i had a horrible headache for the next 2 days...