TJSpin

Positive For Gluten Sensitivity Why Do Blood Test For Celiac?

Rate this topic

New here as my 6 year old just got her positive gluten sensitivity test back a few days ago. My quick question (that probably gets asked a lot her but I can't seem to find it) is, why do the blood test for celiac if the recommendation for GS is 100% gluten free anyway? I think I am going to do the blood test but I am not sure why I feel I need it done. Any thoughts? Am I not thinking of something obvious?

What test did she have done?

One reason to get it done it that children and young adults with celiac need special accomodations at school and college. Do not have the child go gluten free until after all testing is done as that will for sure cause a false negative.

What test did she have done?

She had the gluten sensitivity fecal test from Enterolab. I'm now thinking about doing the Anti-Tissue Transglutaminase Antibody fecal test for her. they already have her sample so it would be fairly easy. Would that be testing for the same antibodies as a blood test for celiac?

tTG IgG/IgA, Endomysial ABS IgA, Gladlin IgG/IgA.. all blood tests or entero does the fecal, if they come back positive most doctors want a biopsy to confirm.. some dont, but either way its the same diet knowing early is pretty great does your 6 year old have symptoms of celiac?

She had the gluten sensitivity fecal test from Enterolab. I'm now thinking about doing the Anti-Tissue Transglutaminase Antibody fecal test for her. they already have her sample so it would be fairly easy. Would that be testing for the same antibodies as a blood test for celiac?

Will your Ped diagnose with the Enterolab testing or give you a note for school? If not do get her blood work done before you take her gluten free as she will need accomodations at school.

My pediatric GI discounted the enterolab testing. Getting a diagnosis can be helpful in little ones. It can also help them stay on the diet later when you aren't there to "police" them as teenagers.

Will your Ped diagnose with the Enterolab testing or give you a note for school? If not do get her blood work done before you take her gluten free as she will need accomodations at school.

I haven't asked her doc yet. She's been mostly gluten free for about 3 weeks now. I am so confused about what test to do next to make an accurate diagnosis. I REALLY do not want her to go through a biopsy at 6. I'm having Enterlab do the transglutaminase testing in hopes of getting some more answers. I guess what I am wonder is whether the IgA anti-glidan is a pretty good bet for celiac disease or is is mostly just a test for GS? Either way I will be keeping her on a gluten-free diet, I would just like to know. This article on this site says "That means that, if a patient is IgA positive, there is a 97% probability that they have celiac disease"...anyone have any thoughts on this?

I haven't asked her doc yet. She's been mostly gluten free for about 3 weeks now. I am so confused about what test to do next to make an accurate diagnosis. I REALLY do not want her to go through a biopsy at 6. I'm having Enterlab do the transglutaminase testing in hopes of getting some more answers. I guess what I am wonder is whether the IgA anti-glidan is a pretty good bet for celiac disease or is is mostly just a test for GS? Either way I will be keeping her on a gluten-free diet, I would just like to know. This article on this site says "That means that, if a patient is IgA positive, there is a 97% probability that they have celiac disease"...anyone have any thoughts on this?

That article refers to the results of serological (blood) testing. Most physicians do not recognize stool testing done by Enterolab. If she is already gluten free you have little chance of getting an accurate blood test, unfortunately. Not all doctors require a biopsy to diagnose - for some (and even for Dr. Fasano, the celiac "god", now) symptoms, positive blood test, positive gene test, and relief of symptoms by gluten free diet is enough for a confirmed diagnosis.