JoyfulGF

Anyone Else Have The Same?

Rate this topic

I'm new to the forum and just recently "diagnosed" with celiac on Dec 24.

I noticed soon after I started a gluten-free diet that when I drank hot tea with roasted barley, I would have to urinate a lot that day. As soon as I quit drinking the tea, the constant trips to the bathroom stopped. Unfortunately, I noticed the same symptoms (recently) when I drank anything with citric acid in it. I practically peed myself the other day because I had the sudden urge to go to the bathroom. Anyway, I've noticed in other posts that some have the typical (gassy, stomach ache) symptoms whenever they consumed citric acid but, I didn't read about anyone having the same symptoms I do. Just wondering if anyone else has.

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum, Joyful! I think reactions differ a lot from person to person so no two people necessarily experience the same symptoms.

But you do need to avoid barley in addition to wheat and rye and many also avoid oats for awhile, even if they are certified gluten-free (you may be able to add them in later).

Welcome to the forum, Joyful! I think reactions differ a lot from person to person so no two people necessarily experience the same symptoms.

But you do need to avoid barley in addition to wheat and rye and many also avoid oats for awhile, even if they are certified gluten-free (you may be able to add them in later).

Thanks for your reply

I know I have to avoid barley, it just surprised me that I would have the same reaction to citric acid as I did to barley.

I started having a problem with all citrus a few years ago. I am hopeful that my intestines will heal and I will one day get citrus and citric acid back -- citric acid is in a lot of items.

Hi JoyfulGF,

Welcome to the forum. I suggest you get checked out for interstitial cystitis, which is another autoimmune disease that I've seen mentioned alongside celiac on this forum. Here is a link to some information: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001508/

A celiac friend of mine also has IC and citrus foods are a big trigger for her.

Hope this helps!