This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Irish Soda Bread Recipe Please!

birdie22

birdie22 Enthusiast

My DH loves cooking corned beef and cabbage for St. Patty's Day. A few years ago I encouraged him to try baking soda bread. We found a good recipe and it's now a staple of our St Patty's Day meal. I'm hoping to find a good gluten-free recipe and convince him to make that instead because a)I want to be able to eat bread too and b)I loathe the idea of regular flour coating my entire kitchen...he's not the cleanest of cooks. Bonus points for simplicity of ingredients. If he has to buy more than a few alternative flours he's not going to go for it. I've done some googling and found quite a few varieties on some popular gluten-free blogs but many seem quite involved.

Many thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ciamarie Rookie

Since I was having issues with yeast breads, I did a search for soda bread myself, though I haven't tried any of the few recipes I collected. Here are a couple of links, the first one looks like it's not very complicated if you use a pre-made gluten-free flour blend.

https://www.celiac.com/articles/663/1/Irish-Soda-Bread-Gluten-Free/Page1.html

Anyone else out there that has tried any of these, I'd like to try one of them myself soon.

killernj13 Enthusiast

Gluten Free Pantry has a recipe on their pancake mix that I have been using the last two years.

lpellegr Collaborator

Here's one from Bette Hagman's cookbooks. It is moist on the inside and crusty like a biscuit on the outside. You could skip the caraway seeds if you want.

1-1/2 c gluten free flour mix (Bette Hagman's is white rice, tapioca, cornstarch, and potato starch flour, but probably any would do)

1/2 c tapioca flour

1-1/4 tsp baking soda

1 tsp baking powder

2 tsp xanthan gum

1/2 tsp salt

3 Tbl sugar

1/2 c butter

1 T caraway seeds

1 c sour cream

1 T milk

Combine all the dry ingredients except caraway seeds in a bowl. Cut in the butter until crumbly. Add caraway seeds and sour cream. Beat with a mixer about a minute. Form the dough into a round mound in a greased casserole. Brush top with milk. Bake at 375 for 50-55 minutes. Remove from pan and cool on a wire rack. Slice when completely cooled.

freeatlast Collaborator

Here's one from Bette Hagman's cookbooks. It is moist on the inside and crusty like a biscuit on the outside. You could skip the caraway seeds if you want.

1-1/2 c gluten free flour mix (Bette Hagman's is white rice, tapioca, cornstarch, and potato starch flour, but probably any would do)

1/2 c tapioca flour

1-1/4 tsp baking soda

1 tsp baking powder

2 tsp xanthan gum

1/2 tsp salt

3 Tbl sugar

1/2 c butter

1 T caraway seeds

1 c sour cream

1 T milk

Combine all the dry ingredients except caraway seeds in a bowl. Cut in the butter until crumbly. Add caraway seeds and sour cream. Beat with a mixer about a minute. Form the dough into a round mound in a greased casserole. Brush top with milk. Bake at 375 for 50-55 minutes. Remove from pan and cool on a wire rack. Slice when completely cooled.

This is a great recipe. Have not made it in a while. Thanks for the reminded (I only bake mine 26 minutes in an 8 x 8 casserole, though--may try cooking it longer and see what it's like with a crusty crust.)

• 2 weeks later...
birdie22 Enthusiast

1/2 c tapioca flour

1-1/4 tsp baking soda

1 tsp baking powder

2 tsp xanthan gum

1/2 tsp salt

3 Tbl sugar

1/2 c butter

1 T caraway seeds

1 c sour cream

1 T milk

Thank you so much for this recipe. DH made it and we all loved it. Definitely a make again!!!

alex11602 Collaborator

My DH loves cooking corned beef and cabbage for St. Patty's Day. A few years ago I encouraged him to try baking soda bread. We found a good recipe and it's now a staple of our St Patty's Day meal. I'm hoping to find a good gluten-free recipe and convince him to make that instead because a)I want to be able to eat bread too and b)I loathe the idea of regular flour coating my entire kitchen...he's not the cleanest of cooks. Bonus points for simplicity of ingredients. If he has to buy more than a few alternative flours he's not going to go for it. I've done some googling and found quite a few varieties on some popular gluten-free blogs but many seem quite involved.

Many thanks!

I couldn't say how close of a recipe it is since my mom never made Irish soda breadm but there is a recipe on Elana's Pantry blog that got good reviews and I like most of her recipes since there are not alot of ingredients in them.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

love2travel Mentor

It's a bit late for the 17th but in case anyone is interested this is another good recipe.

Open Original Shared Link

Archived