This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Sore Throat

dani nero

dani nero Community Regular

Hello again,

Sorry for posting a lot recently. This is all new to me.

I'm only on the second day of elimination diet, and aside from the leftover symptoms, I've been noticing that my throat gets sore a lot, specifically after eating. My eyes are also extremely dry and head feels as if I'm going to get a cold.

It's all so confusing because I have no idea whether I'm getting a reaction or if I'm actually sick X(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

rosetapper23 Explorer

Geez....you're experiencing a lot of symptoms. All I can say is that Hashimoto's Thyroiditis (which affects quite a few people with celiac, including me) can present with a sore throat, fatigue, joint pain, foggy thinking, and dry eyes. Also, it can cause constipation. It can come on suddenly because the thyroid will produce enough hormone, and then, all of a sudden, it stops producing enough...and then the cycle can begin again until the thyroid finally stops completely. I believe you mentioned elsewhere that you were tested for thyroid problems a few months ago. I had also just been tested when I suddenly began experiencing thyroid problems--I was tested again, and my thyroid was in big trouble. However, for a while, I thought I had the flu because the sore throat wouldn't go away and I felt so terribly fatigued, and the doctors kept giving telling me it was just the flu. Even with thyroid medication, it took about eight months for the sore throat to go away (it's because the thyroid was inflamed).

I'm going to keep positive thoughts for you with regard to getting a doctor's appointment soon. And perhaps you DO just have a virus--let's hope!

Geez....you're experiencing a lot of symptoms. All I can say is that Hashimoto's Thyroiditis (which affects quite a few people with celiac, including me) can present with a sore throat, fatigue, joint pain, foggy thinking, and dry eyes. Also, it can cause constipation. It can come on suddenly because the thyroid will produce enough hormone, and then, all of a sudden, it stops producing enough...and then the cycle can begin again until the thyroid finally stops completely. I believe you mentioned elsewhere that you were tested for thyroid problems a few months ago. I had also just been tested when I suddenly began experiencing thyroid problems--I was tested again, and my thyroid was in big trouble. However, for a while, I thought I had the flu because the sore throat wouldn't go away and I felt so terribly fatigued, and the doctors kept giving telling me it was just the flu. Even with thyroid medication, it took about eight months for the sore throat to go away (it's because the thyroid was inflamed).

I'm going to keep positive thoughts for you with regard to getting a doctor's appointment soon. And perhaps you DO just have a virus--let's hope!

Gosh sorry you've had thyroid problems :-(

This is really worrying. I really hope it isn't the case though. I thought all the problems would go away once I started a proper gluten free diet, but it's a real bumpy ride.

rosetapper23 Explorer

Yes, I had thought the same....but I didn't develop Hashimoto's until after I'd been strictly gluten free for three years.

Sorry to hear that :-( What is it like to live with hoshimoto's?

rosetapper23 Explorer

It was very difficult for about two years, because, as the thyroid slowly died, my medication had to be adjusted up and down. Sometimes I would become hyperthyroid and then bounce back to being hypothyroid. Now that I know the symptoms of both, I can usually detect when I need to adjust my meds. Even after five years, it sometimes still becomes an issue. Otherwise, it just comes down to taking meds forever.

It was very difficult for about two years, because, as the thyroid slowly died, my medication had to be adjusted up and down. Sometimes I would become hyperthyroid and then bounce back to being hypothyroid. Now that I know the symptoms of both, I can usually detect when I need to adjust my meds. Even after five years, it sometimes still becomes an issue. Otherwise, it just comes down to taking meds forever.

Hang in there. You sound like you have more better days than bad though :-)

Xoxo

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived