Helene20

Gluten Intolerant, What To Eat?

Rate this topic

I went to the naturopath today and since I have inflammation in my joints she said that I might be gluten intolerant.

She said not to eat gluten for 2 months.

She never gave me a list of food to avoid.

Any good place to look online to download a list?

Thanks for any help and advice.

I went to the naturopath today and since I have inflammation in my joints she said that I might be gluten intolerant.

She said not to eat gluten for 2 months.

She never gave me a list of food to avoid.

Any good place to look online to download a list?

Thanks for any help and advice.

When starting out, it is probably a good idea to avoid processed foods...but if you eat them, there is a list here of ingredients you might see on the labels of processed foods.

There are a lot of ingredients that you need to avoid, for example maltodextrin. It's in everything, and it's not a gluten-safe ingredient. Gluten hides in a lot of places.

Eat fresh, whole foods. Vegetables and fruits, unprocessed meats, rice, potatoes. I might avoid a lot of starches as well, since you are dealing with inflammation.

Some stores, Whole Foods is one, have a really good stock of gluten-free foods. If you can't live without bread, for example, you can get Udi's or Kinnikinnick breads in many freezer sections.

If you go to the celiac.com home page, you will see a column labeled "Categories". You can find a lot of information there that will help you.

When starting out, it is probably a good idea to avoid processed foods...but if you eat them, there is a list here of ingredients you might see on the labels of processed foods.

There are a lot of ingredients that you need to avoid, for example maltodextrin. It's in everything, and it's not a gluten-safe ingredient. Gluten hides in a lot of places.

Eat fresh, whole foods. Vegetables and fruits, unprocessed meats, rice, potatoes. I might avoid a lot of starches as well, since you are dealing with inflammation.

Some stores, Whole Foods is one, have a really good stock of gluten-free foods. If you can't live without bread, for example, you can get Udi's or Kinnikinnick breads in many freezer sections.

If you go to the celiac.com home page, you will see a column labeled "Categories". You can find a lot of information there that will help you.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to reply. I eat only whole foods, never buy processed. I make my own bread but now will have to research a recipe for gluten-free bread.

Can I still eat beans, lentils and soya?

I'm a little confused. Isn't maltodextrin on the safe list?

Maltodextrin is safe. Most maltodextrin in the US is made from corn and in the unlikely chance it was made from wheat, the label must explicitly say "wheat" either in the ingredient list or at the end in the allergy warnings. Some people get confused about maltodextrin because the word starts with "malt" which is not safe.

Beans, lentils, and soya are fine. Be careful about soy sauce as most has wheat. San J Tamari is really good, La Choy is safe, and I believe Kikkoman has a gluten-free soy sauce. Tempeh and miso can contain barley so make sure you check ingredients.

Here are the lists you need. Scott does a pretty good job of keeping them up to date.

Safe: http://www.celiac.com/articles/181/1/Safe-Gluten-Free-Food-List-Safe-Ingredients/Page1.html

Unsafe: http://www.celiac.com/articles/182/1/Unsafe-Gluten-Free-Food-List-Unsafe-Ingredients/Page1.html

Thanks JaneWhoLovesRain, and Skylark.

{blush} I was posting too fast and was mixing up the two diets we follow in our house. The maltodextrin mixup is from me remembering it is illegal on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet.

Hi Helene, I can't really add much more than what has been said already but I can point you in the direction of a good bread recipe (in my opinion anyway)

http://aprovechar.danandsally.com/?p=228

It is also dairy and soya free should you happen to be avoiding them like me. Despite what it says I don't use all the flour mixtures and make up the quantities with just rice flour and potato starch and it works just fine. It also works just as well in a bread machine on a basic setting.

Hope this helps!