Austin Guy

Soy Intolerance And Carmex

Rate this topic

I was frustrated with lip balms as they all seem to contain soy, which I am intolerant to. I was going on a skin trip in lake February and bought some Carmex after I thought I researched the ingredients well. For the following month I had a lot of GI distress and bloating. It was OK some days, mild on others and pretty bad on other days.

I finally did better research and am convinced that either the cetyl esters of lanolin, or both, are vegetable based. That suggests soy. I have quit using Carmex and am feeling better. So this is just a warning for people who are intolerant to soy. Watch out for cetyl esters and lanolin.

I'm going back to plain Vasaline.

Can you do olive oil and Shea butter?

If so find pure Shea and mix in some olive oil. Works great for a multitude of things, I've found.

Vaseline is my to-go lip balm and it comes in a small tube.

I was using CLEURE for awhile,as it is free of gluten and salicyates, but then realized it had soybean oil (bummer)

I don't know if there is soy in the balm, but lanolin is from sheep so that wouldn't be soy.

Coconut butter or oil is often suggested.

Cortisone cream also works well for chapped lips.

I'm using this because it smells purty, and I got some at a B&BW closeout for $2. :) Otherwise, vaseline is a quick fix, and coconut oil tastes good. You could probably make up your own blend of coconut and almond oils so you have a softer substance to use.

I'm using this because it smells purty, and I got some at a B&BW closeout for $2. :) Otherwise, vaseline is a quick fix, and coconut oil tastes good. You could probably make up your own blend of coconut and almond oils so you have a softer substance to use.

I love that stuff but not sure a guy would.