This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Would Love Thoughts From celiac disease Folks

Steve Moore

Steve Moore Newbie

Over the past 5 - 10 years I have had the following symptoms:

-Constant gas

-Diarrhea/Constipation

-Joint Pain

-Back/Neck Pain

-Anxiety/Depression (mild but I take a low dose med)

-Floaty stools

-Whenever I have BM's, it requires a great deal of wiping

-Fatigue, constant

-Forgetfulness/cloudy thinking

-I weigh 250 and should probably weigh less than 200

My doctor and I tried lots of things. I turned 40 this year and was sick of feeling bad all the time. So I googled all the symptoms together and found all the info on celiac disease and gluten intolerance. I mentioned this to my doctor and she said that understanding of celiac disease widely is newer in the medical world. She said that she "knew I didn't have celiacs because I look very healthy." But she said I could be intolerant. So I went off all gluten. I am a huge beer geek and love Belgian and German beer so this was a commitment for me.

Within three days, I felt better than I had in years and years. Almost all the symptoms vanished or were dramatically lessened.

Here is my question, is it possible that I do have celiac disease. I am thinking that I'll just keep a gluten and lactose free diet and not get tested. Thoughts? I understand that if I were tested now, its very possible the results would be negative since I've been gluten free for a month.

Thank You!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Yes, it is quite possible you have Celiac Disease. As possible as NCGI.

There's not a doctor alive that can detect Celiac visually.

Get a new one.

mushroom Proficient

The awareness is not there because there are still doctors like yours who think they can diagnose a celiac by looking at them :o:blink:

Yes, gluten free for a month would probably give you a negative test. Right now it's either self-diagnosis of celiac or NCGI, or glutening yourself up for 2-3 months to have someone tell you what you already know, that you shouldn't eat gluten.

Skylark Collaborator

Damn doctors. Yes you could be celiac. Unfortunately because your Dr. was incompetent the only way to get celiac testing is for you to go back on wheat for a month or two. If you're comfortable sticking to the diet for the rest of your life as if you're celiac it's OK to forego the testing.

Archived