wendy74

Coping With Symptoms Until Doctor Visit

Rate this topic

I am scheduled to see the doctor on May 10, 2012 to request testing for Celiac along with other food allergies. I have been eating non-Celiac food for the past few weeks so my results are hopefully correct. My question is that I am having terrible symptoms now because of the gluten and possibly other things. I have extreme bloating, bad pain in my abdomen, gas, feel sick, loose BM, leg pains, etc. Can anyone have suggestions on how to cope with symptoms until having tests run? :(

Hi Wendy,

There aren't many things that can be done to help endure - no surefire remedies anyway - but I hope you've been reading other threads because there are some things that ppl say helped. I never really did a gluten challenge, but I could suggest taking probiotics.

I know ppl say "must eat gluten until day of tests", but they also say, when the newly-gluten-free aren't feeling better in 1 week, "be patient, it takes time to heal".

Anyway, you need to make sure the Dr knows how bad it gets while eating gluten. That it's multiple terrible symptoms that are difficult to cope with. Seems more Drs now are considering your challenge reaction as another datapoint, like blood tests & biopsies.

Of course, we all know it should've been that way all along.

You can call the Dr & go over the symptoms & . ...not to just throw out false hope, but lately there are more & more stories of ppl whose Dr said "then STOP eating gluten". Some get a sooner appt & some wait for orig date, but ALL of them, imho, have better Drs than one who'd insist on maximally glutening patients in your situation.

And 4 slices is a heckuva lot. There is no consensus on gluten challenge duration or qty, btw.

Hope you see this, I realize it's been more than a day. I think topics w/ no replies are rare.

I didn't gluten challenge either. You could try remedies like ginger tea, and probiotics can't hurt.

Thank you both for the response, I will have to add a probiotic. The past two evenings I have had watery BM every two hours, it really is getting out of control! :(

I have cut down to one slice of bread, and have a little granola but it seems that my problems are intact. I have a journal of all the food and BM movements, let's hope my doctor is a good one (never been to a gastro dr).

Thanks again for the support!

How about calling the Dr's office to make sure that if the Dr has a cancellation before May 10, they'll move you up?

• Upvote 1

Well no matter what the results of the tests are your body is definately giving you the answer as to whether it wants gluten, IMHO. You could try calling the doctors office and speaking with a nurse. Tell her what is happening and ask if you can get in sooner. If you are having D every couple hours that can get to be a dangerous situation and you may be able to see the doctor sooner as an urgent case. If the doctors appointment is with a GI who your regular doctor is referring you to for testing call your regular doctor's office. Sometimes doctors can get us in sooner if your regular doctor feels it is urgent. I got a next day colonoscopy (too bad they didn't do an endo at the same time :angry: ) when my internist called the GI doctor and stressed how ill I was.

I called them yesterday to see it I can be moved up but as of now there have been no cancelelations. I took a few immodium ad and it did help last night, I also got a gluten free probiotic. If the symptoms remain there today I plan to call my doctor to get this taken care of. It is starting to affect my work and home life!

I called them yesterday to see it I can be moved up but as of now there have been no cancelelations. I took a few immodium ad and it did help last night, I also got a gluten free probiotic. If the symptoms remain there today I plan to call my doctor to get this taken care of. It is starting to affect my work and home life!

If by chance you are being woken up at night by the D do be sure to mention that to the doctor. IBS doesn't do that so that symptom would rule out the blanket IBS diagnosis that so many of us get. If you have been back on gluten for at least a couple months you could ask the nurse if they will let you pick up a lab slip for the panel so that will be done and the doctors will have the results at the appointment. Be sure to ask to talk to a nurse. They will sometimes have to call you back but they will be more helpful than a receptionist.

Good idea on picking up a lab slip, never thought of that. I will also make sure to state that it does wake me up, I can tell from what I have seen here that a lot of doctors just think its IBS and send you on your way. I plan to be very forward, plus my sister is Celiac which also helps prove my point that I need to be tested. :)