Rate this topic

Sooooo....

That kid I've got - the one that swears he doesn't have a gluten or other issue has started getting "bloated, too full belly" after eating his favorite meal - cheeseburger, fries and shake. Glutenous cheeseburger and dairy shake.

He also grilled me twenty ways yesterday about Celiac and if I miss eating gluten. This was while he ate the before mentioned foods.

He's home from school today with D, which was preceded by bloat and pain and headache and nausea.

I think at this point he's really reacting to milk, but gluten may be why.

I may give him a gluten-free cheeseburger and coconut milkshake to test it.

I chuckled out loud, when I read this. :rolleyes:

I would bake a potato and then do up some home fries with that. Go for the full-meal deal. :P

I know. Funny, this morning he tripped himself up when denying an issue with the meal - he let "lately" slip in.

I asked him to think about how he feels after eating milk and we'll talk about it soon.

Kind of like leading a horse to water....and having him stare at you like you got it wrong. Only good thing I can say is he has a strong self-preservation drive. If it causes him pain he screams like a banshee and runs the other way.

Honestly, he has been self-selecting around dairy a while. He just doesn't see it. I'll make him a dairy free shake and see what happens. I think he's afraid of giving up ice cream - if he sees he has an alternative maybe he'll open up more.

Has he tried some of the coconut ice cream on the market? That stuff is just tasty, I don't care if you're lactose intolerant or not!

Has he tried some of the coconut ice cream on the market? That stuff is just tasty, I don't care if you're lactose intolerant or not!

Yes, I bought some for me when I first went gluten-free and he wasn't impressed. Neither was I but you know how stuff grows on you.

I am freezing some So Delicious chocolate coconut milk and will make him a shake tonight.

Btw his D has stiopped and he's eating me out of house and home.

Mmm hmmm. Yeah. He doesn't have an intolerance does he??? De Nile runs through my house.

I may pick up some lactaid, too. It may be lactose not casein.

If it's lactose and not casein, Breyers does make a lactose-free ice cream. I picked up some at Wal-Mart shortly after I was diagnosed (price is the same as the other Breyers).

If it's lactose and not casein, Breyers does make a lactose-free ice cream. I picked up some at Wal-Mart shortly after I was diagnosed (price is the same as the other Breyers).

Wow, didn't know that. We'll give it a whirl.

I know some places sell lactose free milk - I could always make ice cream with that, too.

I know some places sell lactose free milk - I could always make ice cream with that, too.

The only Breyers I've seen that's lactose-free is vanilla. I've also seen it at local grocery stores.

I was buying Lactaid milk but know other brands are also available. I believe Lactaid also makes ice cream but I haven't looked for it...and thankfully I'm no longer lactose intolerant. I bet it would be difficult to beat homemade ice cream! smile.gif

If you ever wanted to attempt it (just because it's something I've thought of doing for my brother's fiance, who is lactose intolerant), you could try making creme fraiche ice cream. You just need to buy fresh cream, and then stir in a little bit of buttermilk and let it sit in a warm place overnight, and voila! A nice big batch of creme fraiche can be yours. Not totally lactose free, but it would be cultured to the point where it would contain about as much lactose as yogurt, so if he could tolerate that, he could definitely tolerate creme fraiche ice cream.

If you ever wanted to attempt it (just because it's something I've thought of doing for my brother's fiance, who is lactose intolerant), you could try making creme fraiche ice cream. You just need to buy fresh cream, and then stir in a little bit of buttermilk and let it sit in a warm place overnight, and voila! A nice big batch of creme fraiche can be yours. Not totally lactose free, but it would be cultured to the point where it would contain about as much lactose as yogurt, so if he could tolerate that, he could definitely tolerate creme fraiche ice cream.

Thank you! That sounds wonderful.

Didn't do the shake tonight. Made him soup and oatmeal cookies. So far he ate a lot and is perfectly fine.

I'll kill him if he tries to have milk on his cereal tomorrow.

Well, judging by the desperate run to the bathroom two seconds ago, the lactose free Breyers was NOT a success. I'll try the So Deliciious shake tomorrow with the gluten-free burger.

Oh, and he DID try to eat milk and cereal this morning.

Okay, I asked if he went to the bathroom again and he said yes. Asked if it was like Sunday night or had D and he said no - regular bm's. He definitely isn't as crampy as Sunday night - not on the couch in my lap taking about how sick he is.

So, tomorrow we'll try the gluten-free burger and coconut shake.