moose07

Gluten Free Labeling Vent

Rate this topic

My local grocery store (safeway) has starting putting little signs by things that are gluten free. The other day I was buying some Wolfgang Puck soups some of which are specifically labeled gluten free. I grabbed a few of the ones in which the store had labeled gluten free but I was in a hurry and stupidly did not read all the labels on them. Well today I went to go eat the hearty vegtable one and after a few bites saw what looked to be barley. I quickly went back and read the label of the soup and it was in fact barley.

Now I'm just waiting around until I get sick. I alreayd have a cold so the added glutening is going to make it that much better. I'm pretty upset with myself for not reading label but I'm also mad at the grocery store. I know the three that I picked out all had these little green signs under them stating they were gluten free. Ahhh I'm so frustrated.

So for future warning don't be dumb like me and trust a store to correctly label things. :/

Sorry. Yeah, I've noticed those labels in stuff I can't figure out are gluten-free or not (natural flavorings, lots of chemical names) - no gluten-free on the label or other disclosure.

Freaks me out to the point I ignore them.

And then they put the wrong cans in the wrong spot - so if the label says gluten-free it may be referring to something else.

I too have fallen for the same mistake and feel your frustration :-( I hope you don't get too sick and get well soon.

I personally dislike grocery store signs that say gluten free for this very reason. The signs that come from the store are put there by some low level manager who probably doesn't understand Celiac, for one thing. And having worked for years in a grocery store, I know that customers tend to be completely uncaring in their behavior and leave products strewn about, mixed up, and all over the place! I completely ignore those signs.

I hope you don't wind up feeling too poorly!

Sorry, Moose :(

I hope you have a quick rebound. Maybe you will skate through relatively untouched. Fingers crossed.

Drink lots of water, hon.

I found a sign at one store that had been put in the wrong place (on a food that was obviously not gluten free). I pointed it out to a store employee who didn't seem to care. After that I ignored all those signs. I'm sorry this happened to you. You should let the store know if you haven't.