CrockAlley

Ener-G Breads - Alternatives?

Rate this topic

I've been using Ener-G breads for my lunch sandwiches for months now, and I've accidentally purchased a moldy loaf twice, and I've seen moldy loaves in the stores countless times. I was just making up my sandwich before work, and in the middle of the loaf, mold! Ugh! I have to think of something else to eat beside sandwiches.

Are there any other good breads out there? Ener-G was edible if I toasted it.

Thanks.

When I was first diagnosed I started out using Ener-G bread and was not impressed to say the least. I am still new at the diet but have found I much prefer Canyon Bakehouse or Udi's bread.

I've been using Ener-G breads for my lunch sandwiches for months now, and I've accidentally purchased a moldy loaf twice, and I've seen moldy loaves in the stores countless times. I was just making up my sandwich before work, and in the middle of the loaf, mold! Ugh! I have to think of something else to eat beside sandwiches.

Thanks.

Hello, when first diagnosed I also had the bread "trial and error" experience. Ener-G was only tried once, did not like it, then I tried Dr. Schar, but they use whole egg in it and it upsets my tummy, however eggs white I can tolerate, so when Udi's came in the market I was delighted, been using it since with no problems.

Hope this helps,

-Miriam

I used to only eat Udis bread til I heard about kinnikinnick's new Soft Bread. Its by far the best out there. Only thing that comes somewhat close is Glutino Genius but I dont touch it unless I cant find kinnikinnick

Just about anything, including a rock, is better than Ener-G.

I like Rudi's Original (not Udi's). I also like baking from a mix - King Arthur is good. Someone reco'd Sun Flour mix to me and I'm going to try it.

Wow, sounds like a lot of people don't like Ener-G! It's all I've had for months! I don't mind it too much (aside from the mold), if it's toasted. But I'm glad to hear that there's better stuff out there. I'm going shopping tonight.

Thanks!

Ener-G is about my least favorite. I only buy it if I'm flat-out desperate. I hear it makes good stuffing since it's so dry. :lol: My favorites are Rudi's or Schar. Udi's is good too.

I also vote for Udi's for sandwiches!

I tasted some Breads by Anna over the weekend at a gluten free vendor fair and may try making some of those as they were quite tasty.

Ener-G I've never had, but by the sounds of this forum, I don't think I want to!

Anyhow, can you get Genius breads? Kinnikinnick is supposed to be excellent. Udi's is good, as is Rudi's. But, El Peto is hit and miss.

Have you tried to make your own? It's much, much, much, much better because you control what and how MUCH of what goes in.

I bought some Udi's, and I'm shocked at the quality! I'll be sticking with that for a while.

Udi's rules. Welcome to the world of yummy bread. Rudy's has a cinnamon and raisin bread. Also sold frozen. I don't bake my own bread so I'm with these guys forever. Glad you found one you like. Udi's also has hamburger buns now. Grill Time. Be well

Thanks.

If Ener-g was the only bread available, I'd go without bread. It's awful, in my opinion.

There is another thread, but I can't remember which one, where someone suggested using a bell pepper to hold sandwich fillings. I think they meant to open from the top, but I imagined it sliced lengthwise, kind of like a little boat, and eaten like an open-faced sandwich. Only works if you like bell peppers, LOL! My family does, they loved the suggestion.

I also found a recipe at No More Crohn's For Me for some pancake things that go with the grain-free specific carbohydrate diet...you could make those or grain-free crepes and make sandwich roll-ups, if you are not allergic/sensitive to nuts. They both use almond flour.

If you don't want to make your own, Udi's and Kinnikinnick are the best out there. Around here you have to find it in the freezer section, and not all our stores carry it. If you're in the big city, you will find it at Whole Foods for sure, my mom's Whole Foods has both fresh and frozen.