Jump to content
  • Sign Up

What Kind Of Doctor?

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

What kind of doctor normally manages the case of a celiac patient once they're diagnosed? The GI doctor who did my endoscopy said he doesn't do anything beyond handing out the diagnosis unless a repeat endoscopy or something like that is needed. And my family doctor doesn't have a clue. He told me that some celiacs can eat wheat and others can't. I have to tell HIM to order blood work for vitamin deficiencies. Nothing about referring me to see a nutritionist or anything, either.

I'm going to be getting a new internal medicine doctor who should be more knowledgeable than the family doc. Would he/she be the one to manage my celiac as far as lab work, follow-up, nutritionist referrals, etc., or should that have been handled by the GI doctor?

Thank you!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi there. Usually, your Internal Med Doc will manage all of your conditions, then refer you to specialists as needed. Also, if you have a condition such as arthritis, you would see a rheumatologist regularly without referrals. It depends on the condition and any follow up needed from the specialist. A very good internist is key. Be well.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now