This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Super Sensitives - Cake Mix

GFreeMO

GFreeMO Proficient

Hello fellow super sensitives. I am reacting to something. Have any of you tried Betty Crocker cake mix? Also, what is xanthan gum made from. I have severe corn allergies and I am thinking that may be my problem with these boxed mixes.

Thanks - in pain - MO :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dilettantesteph Collaborator

I get bothered by most processed foods, so I haven't tried it.

I did find this though: Open Original Shared Link

It says that they are made in a gluten-free processing facility.

GFreeMO Proficient

I get bothered by most processed foods, so I haven't tried it.

I did find this though: Open Original Shared Link

It says that they are made in a gluten-free processing facility.

Thanks...yeah I read that on the side of the box thats why I tried it. I think that the X gum comes from corn and that is what my issue is. I react to trace amounts. I googled it and it said it can come from different things. :huh:

IrishHeart Veteran

Xanthan Gum is a microbial polysaccharide derived from the bacterium Xanthomonas campestris.

It is produced primarily from cellulose from corn or cabbage.

Xanthan gum is used for lowering blood sugar and total cholesterol in people with diabetes. It is also used as a laxative.

Xanthan gum is sometimes used as a saliva substitute in people with dry mouth (Sjogren's syndrome).

In manufacturing, xanthan gum is used as a thickening and stabilizing agent in foods, toothpastes, and medicines. Xanthan gum is also an ingredient in some sustained-release pills.

Xanthan gum is safe when up to 15 grams per day are taken. It can cause some side effects such as intestinal gas (flatulence) and bloating.

GFreeMO Proficient

Thanks! The gum in this cake mix is grown on corn so that explains why I am sick.

Thanks for the explanation Irish.

IrishHeart Veteran

Thanks! The gum in this cake mix is grown on corn so that explains why I am sick.

Thanks for the explanation Irish.

You're welcome!!

There are ways to make baked goods without using X-gum, I am told.

People on here do it all the time.

You know what? I did not know half the "stuff" I know now about what's in our foods (before my DX), and now, I find it funny that I even KNOW what xanthan gum IS :lol:

IrishHeart Veteran

Hey MO!! I wonder if you have seen any of gluten free girl's posts?

She has replaced x-gum in all her recipes.

Chia seeds and flax seeds and boiling water.

Check it out. I may do this myself as I have also been wondering about x-gum!

Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFreeMO Proficient

Hey MO!! I wonder if you have seen any of gluten free girl's posts?

She has replaced x-gum in all her recipes.

Chia seeds and flax seeds and boiling water.

Check it out. I may do this myself as I have also been wondering about x-gum!

Open Original Shared Link

Thanks Irish! Headed there now. :)

On the Betty Crocker cake mix it says may contain soy ingredients. UGH! I just noticed that now. No wonder I am a gluteny mess right now. :blink:

kareng Grand Master

Thanks Irish! Headed there now. :)

On the Betty Crocker cake mix it says may contain soy ingredients. UGH! I just noticed that now. No wonder I am a gluteny mess right now. :blink:

I know what GFreeMo means but just for someone reading this:

Soy doesn't have gluten. Some people have problems with soy. GFreeMo just gets the same symptoms from soy as she does to gluten. I eat capers and I get the same bloating, gas, etc as I do from gluten. No gluten in them, just me.

Carry-on. :D

Archived