123glldd

Goya Refried Racheros Pinto Beans

Rate this topic

Okay so I have the triumph grocery guide and it said these beans were safe...me and hubby just ate them...taste great but...are they really gluten free? I went on goya's website but i don't see it listed..it only mentioned blue label beans but...these are not the red label either....I'm assuming Triumph would never put something like that in the grocery guide unless they checked? It said natural flavors in the ingredients but i assumed they knew it was okay so we bought it?

"Natural flavors" can, in theory, mask barley malt, but in reality it doesn't. Barley malt is an expensive ingredient, so manufacturers will want to boast about having it in the product. If the "natural flavors" contain wheat, the word "wheat" will appear on the label (federal US law: FALCPA). Neither rye nor oats are ever hidden in "flavors."

Sooo...I can relax then? ;D lol

Personally, I don't worry about flavors. Here is the view of an accepted expert dietician:

Shelley Case on flavorings:

It would be rare to find a "natural or artificial flavoring" containing gluten (a) because hydrolyzed wheat protein cannot be hidden under the term "flavor," and (B) barley malt extract is almost always declared as "barley malt extract" or "barley malt flavoring." For this reason, most experts do not restrict natural and artificial flavorings in the gluten-free diet.

Gluten-Free Diet - A Comprehensive Resource Guide, published 2008, page 46

Awesome! Thanks so much!