This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Middle School Book Club

Mom23boys

Mom23boys Contributor

My boy is going to be in a book club this summer. He is used to not eating snacks at other homes but I really want to make it special for him and to also show people that behind our walls we (mostly the kids) are not deprived.

Now, we are also milk (including cheese/yogurt and all), soy, egg, peanut, almond (and some little stuff) free. In basic recipes, it is not that hard to sub. but obviously milk/egg desserts are out.

I've thought of homemade rice krispy treats, cupcakes...what are some other "treat" type things I could prepare??

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mamaw Community Regular

Chips & salsa,pretzels, beef jerky,non-dairy cheese, crackers, veggies or fruit kabobs...mini pizzas ( think micro-mini), proteinbars, rice chex mix, sorry I forget what all you said that is a no no...

Darn210 Enthusiast

Just made some fabulous caramel popcorn for a big group trip this weekend. Got asked for the recipe four times. You didn't mention butter in your milk/cheese/yogurt free. That's the only ingredient that I'm not sure if you use.

It's this recipe from allrecipes.com

Open Original Shared Link

I used 2/3 cup butter instead of 1 cup and I used hot air popped corn to give a "drier/crispier" pop corn.

Don't know if you have a bagel that you like, but I make homemade bagel chips . . . slice the bagel into thin slices and brush with olive oil and sprinkle with onion and garlic powder and a little sea salt . . . or whatever floats your boat. Bake in the oven (400 deg?) until browning/crunchy.

VydorScope Proficient

Our son is currently Egg, Dairy (all forms), Gluten, Soy, Almond, and Oat free. Besides the homemade stuff, he also brings Enjoy life candy bars, and other Enjoy life bars and cookies. Currently we have homemade cupcakes with homemade icing that I made for him, so he gets to bring them. It makes the other kids jealous. :)

I like keeping the Enjoylife stuff around for these kinds of things because they are fast and easy. On days where we forget we do not have to panic about making something we can just grab a few and toss them in his bag.

missy'smom Collaborator

My boy is going to be in a book club this summer. He is used to not eating snacks at other homes but I really want to make it special for him and to also show people that behind our walls we (mostly the kids) are not deprived.

Now, we are also milk (including cheese/yogurt and all), soy, egg, peanut, almond (and some little stuff) free. In basic recipes, it is not that hard to sub. but obviously milk/egg desserts are out.

I've thought of homemade rice krispy treats, cupcakes...what are some other "treat" type things I could prepare??

How about jello? lots of fun jello creations to be made out there-rainbow jello to start with and coconut milk or coconut beverage(more neutral tasting) could be subbed in the creamy layers for the milk or condensed milk

fruit leathers-lots of "natural" kinds if you have concerns about fake colors etc in mainstream brands

fruit snack packets

these types of things would show people what "notmal" foods your kid can have

we've done "krispy treats too" with various cereals-chex type, coco krispy type, regular style crispies with the freeze dried berries in it

can your kids have sunflower seed "butter"? in place of nut butters?

Archived