Mateto

Walking Through The Flour Aisle...

Rate this topic

Does anyone here get sick when they walk through the baking aisle in their grocery store? One that contains the flour? I did today, it's the only thing I can think I've done today.

I've been "glutened" again, and I'm trying to figure out WHY. It's the only thing I've done differently....while looking for chocolate chips.

Does anyone here get sick when they walk through the baking aisle in their grocery store? One that contains the flour? I did today, it's the only thing I can think I've done today.

I've been "glutened" again, and I'm trying to figure out WHY. It's the only thing I've done differently....while looking for chocolate chips.

I inhaled a very small amount of wheat flour when I cleaned the cabinet that I used to store it in. I was shocked to get such a strong reaction, including neuro symptoms that lasted two months. I avoid the flour aisle in the store! :o

Okay. It must have been that. I ate the same things today I did yesterday (along the same lines), and I'm fine. So it must have been that!

Isn't it strange though?

Your symptoms lasted for TWO MONTHS?

I react a bit guarded when I walk through the flour aisle, but I have had no ill effects. Smells should not be a problem, although psychologically, it may have an affect.

Physical gluten in the air would be unlikely unless someone dropped a 5lb bag of flour in the aisle, recently. But, that's not something I generally worry about. :)

• Upvote 1

My grocery keeps the gluten-free Betty Crocker mixes with the others. above the flour. I don't worry, but I do try not to eat anything or wipe my mouth until I can wash. When I used to buy flour, there was always flour on the outside of the bag. Might be why it's usually on the bottom shelves?

They're on the middle shelves here, and there is like 50000 different bags all different brands :P

So there's flour....all over the place. I'm thinking that was it. I'll just wear an oxygen mask next time...

It depends on your level of sensitivity. Some celiacs bake with flour for their families with no issues. Others can't enter a bakery. I am one of the more sensitive. I try to avoid the flour aisle.