This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Tests Can Be Done If Gluten Free?

gfreejz

gfreejz Rookie

hello! I have been gluten free for about a year and a half. I say that but I have been gluten bombed 10-? times in that time. Also, I have been on low dairy until recently i gave it up completely. Also no MSG. I have been feeling good for a few weeks straight now and an pumped. It seems hard to feel good for that long at a time. By feel good I mean alert, no gastro problems, calm, grounded. Before I was Gluten free I had GERD, asthma, hypertension, severe allergies, hay fever. So all in all I'm alot healthier. I really don't think I have really healed yet and wonder if I'm cross reacting or something else is going on. I did have bloodwork and upper and lower scope in February which found nothing. I figured if I'm that sensitive why hasn't it shown up. Here is the summary from my doc and my celiac panel which maybe incomplete.

The pathology report from your recent colonoscopy and endoscopy returned. The colon biopsies were normal. The duodenal biopsies showed normal small bowel. The ileum biopsies showed mild inflammation with unclear etiology (not classic for inflammatory bowel disease or crohn's disease).

Labs are normal.

Blood counts, iron studies, thyroid test, electrolytes and kidney tests, pancreatic enzyme and inflammatory markers are all normal.

Blood test for celiac disease is negative, but not reliable since you have been following a gluten free diet.

Final Pathologic Diagnosis

A. Terminal ileum, biopsy Mildly active ileitis with erosion; no

granulomas seen

B. Colon, random, biopsy -- No diagnostic abnormality

C. Duodenum, second and third parts, biopsy -- No diagnostic

abnormality

TTG ANTIBODY, IGA 1

0-6 Negative

7-10 Equivocal

>10 Positive

So my doc said If you feel better stick with the gluten free diet. Come back in six months for pill cam. She saw some little white bumps at end of small intestines and alot of redness and wanted to follow me. But she had no idea what was going on. So should I have a follow up with her or look into maybe finding a second opinion.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

VydorScope Proficient

The only tests I know of...

1) You could order a genetic test which would tell you if you are at risk to get celiac disease or not.

2) Entrolab states their stool test is sensitive enough to work even a year or two gluten-free. I do not know how good/reliable they are, opinions here seem mixed.

That is about all I know of UNLESS you are willing to do a gluten challenge. To do that you would have to eat something like 4 pieces of bread a day for 8 weeks and then get your blood retested. Talk with your doc for details, but that is about what I would expect him or her to say. But in the end, I agree with your doc. If you when gluten-free and got better, stick with it. :)

MitziG Enthusiast

The "mild inflammation" could be damage that isn't quite healed yet. Since you just recently cut out all dairy though, I expect you may find that is what will kick your healing into high gear. I was dairy "lite" for about a year- it wasn't until I removed all traces of casein from everything I eat that I saw that last needed bit of improvement however.

As for testing, the above poster is correct. Without doing a gluten challenge (which would be counterproductive- causing damage so you can asess the damage?) There isnt much. The fact that your antibodies are negative is a good sign though!

Archived