Sunny1008

Everyone Thinks I Have An Eating Disorder - Help!

Rate this topic

Hi everyone,

Please help, I don't know what to do. All of my family members think I have an eating disorder because I have lost so much weight (15 lbs., which is a lot for me). I am eating, but I am not putting on any weight.

I have not officially been diagnosed with celiac disease or gluten intolerance, but I have had every other test, and they were all negative. I am trying the gluten-free diet because I don't know what else to do. I got sick suddenly and dramatically four months ago and dropped a lot of weight quickly. All of the doctors tell me it's all in my head, and my family members want me to get help for an eating disorder.

I swear I do not have an eating disorder!! My digestive tract is totally inflamed, so I am eating what I can. But I'm not putting on any weight yet. I have only been on the diet two and a half weeks.

What should I do???

Hi everyone,

Please help, I don't know what to do. All of my family members think I have an eating disorder because I have lost so much weight (15 lbs., which is a lot for me). I am eating, but I am not putting on any weight.

I have not officially been diagnosed with celiac disease or gluten intolerance, but I have had every other test, and they were all negative. I am trying the gluten-free diet because I don't know what else to do. I got sick suddenly and dramatically four months ago and dropped a lot of weight quickly. All of the doctors tell me it's all in my head, and my family members want me to get help for an eating disorder.

I swear I do not have an eating disorder!! My digestive tract is totally inflamed, so I am eating what I can. But I'm not putting on any weight yet. I have only been on the diet two and a half weeks.

Ok. Stop.. Take a deep breath!

What tests have you had? Have you had any Celiac tests? Is there a reason they would think you have an eating disorder? Did you have one before? Do you worry about the size you wear? Excercise more than most people? Have you had your thyroid, vitamin ( iron, ferritin, D, Calcium, B12) tested? Have you had any illness lately other than this?

Edited to say: just looked back at some of your previous posts and they don't jump out as " E.D to me, right now .

Ok. Stop.. Take a deep breath!

What tests have you had? Have you had any Celiac tests? Is there a reason they would think you have an eating disorder? Did you have one before? Do you worry about the size you wear? Excercise more than most people? Have you had your thyroid, vitamin ( iron, ferritin, D, Calcium, B12) tested? Have you had any illness lately other than this?

Edited to say: just looked back at some of your previous posts and they don't jump out as " E.D to me, right now .

Hi kareng,

No, I have never had an eating disorder before or issues with eating. One day about four months ago I got sick to my stomach, and I never got better. No one else in my family has been sick. I have had numerous tests done: blood tests, stool cultures, thyroid tests, abdominal ultrasound, upper endoscopy (but no biopsies taken), and I have had the Celiac blood test - all negative.

However, lots of people (including my GI doctor) have told me that a person can still have Celiac disease and have a negative blood test. That is why I am trying the gluten-free diet.