brookies

New, Help With Symptoms

Rate this topic

Hi all. I just signed up and this is my first post. I'm wondering if I have Celiac symptoms. I have read through much on the site already but am still unsure where I fit. Let me preface by saying that I am 31 years old and have had a life long eating disorder of binge eating. I have recently been getting help for it and was starting to pay close attention to what I eat. I was starting to suspect my toddlers and I have milk allergies and possible sensitivities to grains and/or gluten. I have never been able to control myself around them. About 2 1/2 weeks ago, I tried to eliminate dairy and grains from my diet. It went okay, but some days in recovery are better than others and I would slip. And some days, grain-free felt too hard and I just went gluten free. Other wise I have eaten (gorged on) grains and gluten my entire life.

2 weeks ago, I had what felt like an upset stomach all morning but then it progressed to real intense pain on my left side that required medication and a heating pad and while the initial intensity went away after a few hours, a dull pain came and went for a few days. I had also noticed blood in my urine but went to my OB thinking the pain might be an ovary. Ultrasound came back fine. He thought maybe I had passed a kidney stone since there was a "significant" amount of blood in my urine. The pain was gone for 10 days (mainly trying to avoiding gluten and dairy but not perfectly). Then it returned last night. It varies from really intense on my left side to a dull cramp in my lower abdomen. I am going to call my GP, but was hoping for some help from this forum.

Here are symtoms so far:

blood in urine

intense cramping on left side with nausea at times

dull cramping lower abdomen with nausea at times

occasionally mousy and loose stools

somewhat frequent diarrhea

occasionally gassy

eczema

frequent headaches, lower back pain, and fatigue

So I am just wondering if these are enough symptoms to suspect Celiac or if I am off base? Could I have been eating gluten my whole life and now all of a sudden have an intense reaction to it? Any advice you could give on talking to my doctor about my symptoms and what kind of testing I should ask about if celiac disease may be possibility, I would really appreciate it. Also, should I do my best to be strict about a gluten-free diet to see if my symptoms improve or keeping eating it for any testing. Thanks in advance for the support.

Hi Brook. Welcome to the forum!

All I can say about your symptoms is that getting that appointment at your GP is a great idea. Someone else may have some more ideas for you.

Good luck!

Thank you. I have an appointment with my GP this morning. Need to keep reading so I feel informed when I go in to see him.

Hi Brook. Welcome to the forum!

All I can say about your symptoms is that getting that appointment at your GP is a great idea. Someone else may have some more ideas for you.

Good luck!