This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Glutened By Dentist Or New Allergy?

Adalaide

Adalaide Mentor

So, yesterday I got to spend a thrilling morning gassed out of my mind and off in la-la land (there are giraffes in la-la land) while I let a man drill holes in my head and yank out a tooth. I paid him handsomely to do this, which still seems sort of wrong to me. The bright side is he sent me home with a prescription for happy pills (lortab) and amoxicillin so I don't randomly get an infection and need half of my beautiful visage amputated.

I double checked with the pharmacy that the antibiotic is sandoz which is gluten free and I've taken in the past without issue. The pain meds are also gluten free and I have also never reacted to them in the past. I've been going to this dentist for "routine" for me work for quite some time without issue.

I got done at the dentist's office around 11:30ish yesterday morning, called my husband up to come get me and we hurried off to Wal-Mart to fill my prescriptions. (We needn't have hurried it took them almost an hour, I was feeling my face by then!) I immediately popped an antibiotic and a pain pill and I think I had a little mashed taters for lunch. I felt rather queasy all afternoon but didn't think much of it, assuming I'd swallowed rather a lot of blood as I tend to bleed a LOT. (I was bleeding through my gauze and changing it pretty often.) I didn't think about it at the time, but I was a little itchy but frankly when am I not?

So last night I had myself a bowl of taters and gravy and some blueberry whipped cream for dessert. I went a pretty long time without any meds because it was my night to talk to my kids on the phone. I finally took all of my meds at once, pain, antibiotic, topamax and had a little snack so it wouldn't make me sick. That didn't work out because an hour later I was vomiting. The itching went from mild to enough to make me criminally insane. I vomited a little more and eventually was physically exhausted enough I thought I could sleep through the itch.

I kept waking up and scratching myself. I finally just got out of bed and was checking to see if I got a rash, which I haven't. (I then spilled soda all over the carpet, woke up my husband and cried about how it isn't fair I sold him a broken model. :lol: ) It was like 3something in the morning, I was way beyond sane at that point. I don't know how I am not bloody from scratching to be honest. The only thing in the house to provide relief was some caladryl clear. Without regard to it's gluten-ness I had my husband slather me from neck to ankle, simply skipping my arms just in case. Which I'm glad we did because it isn't gluten free, it's also expired, it also provided blessed relief.

ANYWAY... on to my question. Is it possible that for the first time in my life I'm having an itching reaction to gluten? The only place it could possibly have come from is the dentist but I don't know how, we've discussed at great length my needs and I've never had a problem in the past at his office. The other and quite distinct possibility that I don't even want to consider is that I am developing (30 years late) an allergy to an antibiotic. Whatever else happens, I am sending my husband to the store for the pink caladryl and I'm gonna be spending my day looking like a freak. Oh yeah! B)

If I rambled too much, I didn't sleep much and am just this side of the loony bin right now. Sorry. :ph34r:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

I don't think you were glutened by the dentist.

Itching and a rash are a common reaction to medications. Even if you have had them before, its possible to develope a sensitivity to them. I would call the dentist and tell him about the itching. See if he can change your antibiotic. Hopefully, you won't need the pain meds much longer.

Just had a thought! Mark this day! :D

When I had one of my kids, I was given a pain med that can, and did, make me itch with no rash.

Adalaide Mentor

I... kicked my husband out of bed at quarter past 8 to make him go buy pink caladryl. And to watch the baby so I could shower and wash the clear stuff off me before I DO gluten myself from my unrelenting urge to SCRATCH!

I haven't needed the pain meds this morning yet, which on one hand is awesome that it doesn't hurt. On the other hand, the idea of being so totally mentally out of it I don't notice how itchy I am sounds awesome. I'm also officially a pinkle people eater.

GF Lover Rising Star

I... kicked my husband out of bed at quarter past 8 to make him go buy pink caladryl. And to watch the baby so I could shower and wash the clear stuff off me before I DO gluten myself from my unrelenting urge to SCRATCH!

I haven't needed the pain meds this morning yet, which on one hand is awesome that it doesn't hurt. On the other hand, the idea of being so totally mentally out of it I don't notice how itchy I am sounds awesome. I'm also officially a pinkle people eater.

Sometimes if you stagger your meds, take the pain then after 2 hours take the anti. It could just be the two together doing it. They could also be reacting with Topomax. You should check. I hope you feel better.

Archived