This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Uhhh Really?!

Razzle Dazzle Brazell

Razzle Dazzle Brazell Enthusiast

How does everyone deal with smart elic family and friends who say things like, "Uh huh and how did you figure that one out," and "Pretty soon you won't be able to eat anything." Do these people not remember first grade picture books and learning all their fruits and veggies? Come on now. Ugh! <_< I want to write up a list of every fruit and veggie and grain and nut and every meat and every natural herb and spice and juice known to man and send it to them. Everything I can't eat on another list like wheat, rye, barley, oats, dairy, and corn. Which list would be longer? Hmmm.

Even if they weren't trying to be a smart elic. How would that be an appropriate response? Its like they are trying to rub your face in it like you're a dog and everything you told them is a pile of you know what. I honestly feel really hurt right now :'(

It is like they are jealous that I have more discipline and resolve than them that I have figured out what works for my body and am getting healthier and losing weight. In such a case who exactly is the pitiful one? You know what I am proud of what I am doing and anyone who can't support people like us, they do not deserve us. :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

~**caselynn**~ Enthusiast

How does everyone deal with smart elic family and friends who say things like, "Uh huh and how did you figure that one out," and "Pretty soon you won't be able to eat anything." Do these people not remember first grade picture books and learning all their fruits and veggies? Come on now. Ugh! <_< I want to write up a list of every fruit and veggie and grain and nut and every meat and every natural herb and spice and juice known to man and send it to them. Everything I can't eat on another list like wheat, rye, barley, oats, dairy, and corn. Which list would be longer? Hmmm.

Even if they weren't trying to be a smart elic. How would that be an appropriate response? Its like they are trying to rub your face in it like you're a dog and everything you told them is a pile of you know what. I honestly feel really hurt right now :'(

It is like they are jealous that I have more discipline and resolve than them that I have figured out what works for my body and am getting healthier and losing weight. In such a case who exactly is the pitiful one? You know what I am proud of what I am doing and anyone who can't support people like us, they do not deserve us. :D

Oh hunny I'm sorry your feeling have been hurt by these people. Sometimes I think they say things like that because they have absolutely NO IDEA what we're talking about. Some ofcourse, are just being rotten but others really just don't know how to respond or how to process the info. I'm sorry you had to go through that, I'd be glad to hear your progress anytime! :) hope you have a better day!!

Oh hunny I'm sorry your feeling have been hurt by these people. Sometimes I think they say things like that because they have absolutely NO IDEA what we're talking about. Some ofcourse, are just being rotten but others really just don't know how to respond or how to process the info. I'm sorry you had to go through that, I'd be glad to hear your progress anytime! :) hope you have a better day!!

Thx caselynn for your comforting and supportive words. Idk where I would be without you and people like you on this forum.

Hey, us gluten free-ers have to stick together! :)

Hey, us gluten free-ers have to stick together! :)

Lol I wish there was a like button on this forum ;) but since there is not, I will have to make do: I like.

bartfull Rising Star

We're here for you, Razzle. (((((HUGS)))))

I'm lucky I guess. Except for the friend who told me once that he thought I was getting carried away after after I chastised him when he touched my food with gluteny hands, I don't let what others say bother me. I was earlier into this back then and I tore his head off. :lol:

Now I just look at them and say something along the lines of, "Yeah, so you should feel sorry for me and go get me some Hagen Daz."

We're here for you, Razzle. (((((HUGS)))))

I'm lucky I guess. Except for the friend who told me once that he thought I was getting carried away after after I chastised him when he touched my food with gluteny hands, I don't let what others say bother me. I was earlier into this back then and I tore his head off. :lol:

Now I just look at them and say something along the lines of, "Yeah, so you should feel sorry for me and go get me some Hagen Daz."

Hehe! :lol: I would have said no I was carried away when I was I'll and malnourished but now I'm standing my ground.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Newbee Contributor

Some people don't get and some people don't want to get it either. It is annoying I know. I feel like I'm being judged constantly about what I do and do not eat. I love the blank looks people give me when they ask about my diet and I then explain it to them.

Marilyn R Community Regular

I put a hex on them until I got past the anger stage. My hexes never worked but they made me feel better about jerky family or friends. B)

Here's a super secret. Just cross your fingers under the table toward the offender and officially give them a dirty look. And carry on. Have fun, eat and drink heathy and hex the heck out of anybody who says that's not right. They're not right.

Newbee Contributor

Good idea Marilyn R! This reminds me I have a voodoo doll. Sounds like that could work too. :lol:

Oh my! Haha ????

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Lol I wish there was a like button on this forum ;) but since there is not, I will have to make do: I like.

It's amazing how many people think they will starve if gluten is taken out of their diets. Makes ya wonder if they ever eat anything other than bread and cereal.

As to a 'like' button we do have one and also a dislike button. On the upper right hand side of someones post are a plus and a minus sign to agree or disagree. I use it sometimes when someone has given advice that is the same thing I would have given rather than repeating the same thing in a later post.

luvs2eat Collaborator

As I was diagnosed very quickly... when people asked me what the symptoms of celiac disease are, I'd say, "Unexplained weight loss is often a big one." Then I'd look down at myself and say, "Um... I didn't get that one."

When people would say stupid things like, "What on earth do you EAT?"... I'd again look down at myself and say, "Um... do I LOOK like I'm starving??"

Isn't it amazing how clueless people are about what we eat??

As I was diagnosed very quickly... when people asked me what the symptoms of celiac disease are, I'd say, "Unexplained weight loss is often a big one." Then I'd look down at myself and say, "Um... I didn't get that one."

When people would say stupid things like, "What on earth do you EAT?"... I'd again look down at myself and say, "Um... do I LOOK like I'm starving??"

Isn't it amazing how clueless people are about what we eat??

That is basically what I said: "I'm not starving by any means"

Maybe we should counter with, "what besides bread do You eat?"

That is basically what I said: "I'm not starving by any means"

Maybe we should counter with, "what besides bread do You eat?"

I have said before," If I didn't tell you I had Celiac Disease, would you have even questioned the fact that I'm eating a salad??" if anything it gets my point acrossed, I eat the same healthy things they do, I just like mind modified a little! ?

I have said before," If I didn't tell you I had Celiac Disease, would you have even questioned the fact that I'm eating a salad??" if anything it gets my point acrossed, I eat the same healthy things they do, I just like mind modified a little! ?

Right. I like food that wasn't scientifically mutated in a petri dish. I mean what do they eat? Fillers and pesticides and sugar and fat and more fillers? Most of them don't even know what they are eating or the fact that it isn't really food.

GFinDC Veteran

It's amazing how many people think they will starve if gluten is taken out of their diets. Makes ya wonder if they ever eat anything other than bread and cereal.

As to a 'like' button we do have one and also a dislike button. On the upper right hand side of someones post are a plus and a minus sign to agree or disagree. I use it sometimes when someone has given advice that is the same thing I would have given rather than repeating the same thing in a later post.

Well, I tried it out on your post RavenWood and it worked. +! likey - likey. :)

I know exactly! I think they mostly writhe over the lack of "convenience" foods myself.

Oh okay I haven't really used that as a like button. I thought it was more like a rating of the quality of info given and not just a like button. Ya learn something new everyday. :-)

Some people don't get and some people don't want to get it either. It is annoying I know. I feel like I'm being judged constantly about what I do and do not eat. I love the blank looks people give me when they ask about my diet and I then explain it to them.

I think in the future I will just skip to their judgments just to show how crazy they are. Oh no I am bulemic. I binge and purge and tell ppl I have celiac so they have no idea.

No I am anorexic I prefer to taste my food and quickly recycle it while it is only been exposed to stomach acid for a little while.

No I don't really eat anything. I eat only lettuce and maintain meat on my bones simply by taking a calorie supplement every meal.

Yes I admit most of my allergies are generated by my imagination. I had to come up with something else after I grew out of my childhood imaginary friend.

Tee hee...ohhh gosh.

Good idea Marilyn R! This reminds me I have a voodoo doll. Sounds like that could work too. :lol:

Hope that doll isn't stuffed with straw cause that ain't gluten free :P

I put a hex on them until I got past the anger stage. My hexes never worked but they made me feel better about jerky family or friends. B)

Here's a super secret. Just cross your fingers under the table toward the offender and officially give them a dirty look. And carry on. Have fun, eat and drink heathy and hex the heck out of anybody who says that's not right. They're not right.

Hahaha we should all get together and create some sort of clan to hex all theglutened evildoers. Just kidding omg y'all all are just as crazy as me. I used to do this thing when i got mad as a kid where I would put my thumb and index finger up to frame my vision of their head and just pinch my fingers together like I was squeezing them like a bug. Must a been my glutenophrenic brain.

Archived