RonSchon

Looking For A Safe Power Bar

Rate this topic

So here is my situation. I'm not just celiac, but also affected by rice in many forms. Sometimes pure rice is fine, but often rice flour is a problem. For instance rice puffs like Pirate's Booty make me react. Beers from rice also make me react. Also - nuts make me react. Peanuts and Pistacio's have both caused me to have symptoms recently.

Late afternoon I need something before going to the gym.

Today I stood in the aisle with nutritional bars and read the labels on everything and didn't see anything that would work.

Am I doomed to have to bring some chicken or something to eat an hour or so before going to the gym or is there a power bar that is gluten, rice and nut free?

Any ideas or suggestions?

Maybe I'll need to go liquid? I've never done liquids... Maybe I should just start with a chocolate milk and see how that works?

Did you check the L

Had to respond because I laughed out loud -- I have so many intolerances that on long bike rides I do bring a chicken thigh in my jersey -- I've gotten some strange looks.

Gu packs are gluten free and give a great boost. Pretty sure they are rice free, but you'd need to check.

Good Luck!

PS Chocolate Milk is a great to help muscle recover after exercise, not sure if it is great before exercise.

Lisa,

Yes - it is funny.... Sitting at my desk and pulling out a chicken breast before going to the gym... People are like...... Um, dude, lunch was a couple hours ago.

I'm going to try choco milk today, and then move into protein drinks next week after studying over the weekend.

I'm a lover of Lara Bars, but it seems I can't find one without nuts. I'll check the website and see if maybe my store just didn't have ones that would work for me.

Just an idea. Could you find a recipe that might work...make your own...wrap individually...and freeze them?

I've been planning to look into this option because the offspring works out every day... He hated the Larabars I bought for him to try... In fact, he said, (and I quote) "You don't really love, do you? Are you trying to kill me?". Not a better moment... sigh

Hardboiled eggs?

. . . and if you want to make people stare, dye them like Easter eggs and people will think they're left over from Easter . . . :lol:

Do tree nuts cause the same problems for you as peanuts?

Janet!

Great suggestion. I need to try hard boiled eggs.

Thanks for that one

Lisa, I don't know if I will try to make my own - but I can say I've had a couple of Lara bars that made me question my judgement...

Thanks Lisa,

I might actually give one of those a try.

I will make another post about a product we could all use. I was a skeptic, but bought one, did a batch, and PERFECT!!!! The Cuisineart Egg Cooker. A super easy way to make PERFECT hard, medium, or soft boiled eggs. I did a batch this morning and just had two. They peel super easy, and are perfectly cooked. $30, cooks 7 at a time in about 10 minutes - no mess, easy clean, I could not be more satisfied.

Now, I really would love one of those! The kid loves hard-boiled eggs... Where did you get it?

Lisa,

They are probably cheaper on Amazon - but $29.99 at Bed Bath and Beyond.