This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Appetite Decrease Post Dx Anyone?

Nay-Nay

Nay-Nay Newbie

Hi

I was diagnosed about 2 to 3 weeks ago with Celiacs. Since then I have purchased a few gluten-free items (bread, crackers, rice cakes, pasta, etc) to try out and they are not to bad. But since being diagnosed I have noticed that I have not been able to eat as much as I use to. I can only eat one piece of gluten-free bread as opposed to the 2 slices of bread I use to eat. And that one slice of gluten-free bread fills me up too which is crazy. Dont get me wrong, I dont have eating problems, I have a great appetite for my age/size, and I love to eat, it just seems that my eyes have been bigger then my stomach because I get full very quickly lately. Even my family has noticed that I havent been consuming my usual portion size of food.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? Is this normal?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

Yes, this is perfectly normal. Basically, anything that changes when you go gluten free is perfectly normal. If you were covered in big green dots and started walking on all fours, someone here would probably be able to tell you they'd seen it before.

In your case, it's probably a decrease in appetite because your body is starting to absorb nutrients properly, and doesn't need as much food. Many people have the opposite reaction, and wind up with increased hunger for a few months after the diet change. I have to think less of an appetite would be easier to deal with! I turned into a ravenous beast! Kinda expensive..... I would have preferred a decrease, to be honest.

dani nero Community Regular

First time I hear of an appetite decrease :-) The usual is the opposite, but then again there is no such thing as the "norm" when it comes to celiac as Bunnie mentioned. Make sure you try to eat well though even if you don't feel like it, because eating too little might backfire later.

Keshavdas Apprentice

Yes, this is perfectly normal. Basically, anything that changes when you go gluten free is perfectly normal. If you were covered in big green dots and started walking on all fours, someone here would probably be able to tell you they'd seen it before.

In your case, it's probably a decrease in appetite because your body is starting to absorb nutrients properly, and doesn't need as much food. Many people have the opposite reaction, and wind up with increased hunger for a few months after the diet change. I have to think less of an appetite would be easier to deal with! I turned into a ravenous beast! Kinda expensive..... I would have preferred a decrease, to be honest.

Actually - I like hearing this. It's not like I look sickly (I'm 5'10" + 150 lbs) - but the constant unexplained weight-loss over the last 23 years has always been a source of worry. I got tested for AIDS 5 times just to be sure - and of course they were negative, but no explanation ever was offered by any of my doctors.

Nay-Nay Newbie

Thanks everyone for the comments! They've been extremely helpful.

The thing with me is that after like three or four forkfuls of food I'm done eating. I get full to the point where I feel as though I'm going to be sick! Should I look into maybe takings a multi vitamin just in case? Can anyone prescribe a multi vitamin for me that is gluten free that they like?

dani nero Community Regular

I wonder if it's possible you're having a mild case of indigestion. I don't know if it's possible to have one without the burning sensation and/or pain. Do you get bloated at all shortly after eating? Does this happen no matter what type of food you eat or just the bread? Might be a certain food that is giving indigestion.

GFinDC Veteran

I am thinking Dani may be on to something. You can try some probiotics and digestive enzymes with your meals. mya help some. Digestive upset is pretty common when starting out on the gluten-free diet. I did eat less after goign gluten-free than before. I just wasn't as hungry as often as I used to be. But if you are getting a full feeling after a few bites of food it could be from gas in your stomach or slow digestion. Avoiding sugar and starchy carbs may help with the gas. Peppermint can also help on a temporary basis to get gas out. And maybe try avoiding dairy or try taking lactaid pills when you eat dairy.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

I am thinking Dani may be on to something. You can try some probiotics and digestive enzymes with your meals. mya help some. Digestive upset is pretty common when starting out on the gluten-free diet. I did eat less after goign gluten-free than before. I just wasn't as hungry as often as I used to be. But if you are getting a full feeling after a few bites of food it could be from gas in your stomach or slow digestion. Avoiding sugar and starchy carbs may help with the gas. Peppermint can also help on a temporary basis to get gas out. And maybe try avoiding dairy or try taking lactaid pills when you eat dairy.

^ What he said.

Nay-Nay Newbie

Thanks for the replies. And yes I do get bloated after eating everything. I spoke to my doctor and she seconds the above suggestions for a probiotic. So I'll be looking into that. Thanks B)

MelissaSH4 Newbie

Thanks everyone for the comments! They've been extremely helpful.

The thing with me is that after like three or four forkfuls of food I'm done eating. I get full to the point where I feel as though I'm going to be sick! Should I look into maybe takings a multi vitamin just in case? Can anyone prescribe a multi vitamin for me that is gluten free that they like?

I get all my vitamins and suppliments from puritanspride.com. They are relatively inexpensive and usually run really great deals like flat rate shipping or buy 1 get 1 buy 2 get 3 sales.

Archived