Will29

Huh?! Chicken Mayo Now Symptoms

Rate this topic

Hi all I was wondering if anyone has encountered gluten in mayo before? It was bought from a deli shop so no doubt was the cheapest brand but figured it would be fine. Since I ate it I feel sick, bloated and tired, feels like someone has dumped a brick into my abdominen. Anyone experienced anything like that over something that really should have no gluten?

Never buy from a deli. Notoriously glutened food. They make sandwiches all the time and most have no idea about gluten or cross contaminiation. Even if they wear gloves they are usually thinking only of protecting food from germs not protecting one food from another food. So they could go from making a sandwich to making chicken salad easily.

It sounds like you got chicken salad or something? If that is the case it was most likely cross contaminated. If it was not contaminated, then you could be reacting to Soy. Almost all mayonnaise is made with soybean oil as an ingredient unless you buy specialty mayo like earth balance. Even the mayo's that advertise they are made with olive oil usually have soybean oil as an ingredient.

I don't buy anything made by human hands other than mine or those knowledgeable about gluten. Cross contamination is too easy to have happen. And avoiding it takes great care. A couple of deli experiences convinced me that the food from deli's is not safe.....even if it is just a salad. That's my two cents. :) Hope you don't stay sick long.

Are you saying you bought a jar of Mayo? If so, read the ingredients.

If you are saying what the previous poster is talking about (buying a sandwich or chicken salad), then it was likely cc'd. They use that jar of mayo to spread on gluten sandwiches. They cook parts of the chicken salad and drain it in the same colander they drain the gluten pasta for pasta salad.