123glldd

Jobs On A Farm Or Food Industry And What Not...

Rate this topic

My husband is really really feeling hopeless right now. He has a degree in his particular field but it's practically impossible to find work in it these days. So locally there are a lot of farms and food establishments...it's practically the only thing available because everyone here usually commutes to NYC. There is a local place looking for seasonal people for halloween..it's on a farm..there might be hay around. Aside from this..most food places if he had to work there..contain gluten.....what the heck is he suppose to do? He's wondering if he's really THAT limited on jobs now....like it's practically desk jobs or nothing. We use to like going on the hayride at the local farm to go pick up a pumpkin for halloween but we're scared to now....it really is putting a damper on everything...Do we have to be worried about this? I've seen some posts in the past that suggest we do.

Is he the one with the gluten issue or you or both? If he doesn't have a problem, I don't see why he couldn't be a server in a restaurant. If he's a baker or harvesting wheat, he might want to take the clothes off outside or at the Quick Truip bathroom before he comes in.

We both had the autoimmune response in our feces. And he had a very high fat malabsorption though for some reason i seem to be the more sensitive one with mucus in my stool and having a harder time when it comes to healing etc i think which he doesn't have. His malabsorption was up around 700 mine was 300 yet i have more symptoms associated with damage. Thing is....we're both off of it. I'd like to know for myself as well anyhow because if i ever wanted to work on a farm or even if we just wanted to go to the pumpkin patch on the hayride this year.

If you make it the habit of immediately throwing your work clothes in the wash, or keeping them out of the bedroom, and showering off residue, it may not be much of a problem. Handwashing and hosing off outside also helps. The people with sensitive skin (like me) who work outdoors with creatures who routinely consume the things I'm reacting to, (grasses,hays, pollens) are going to have more of a problem. We try to keep anything with the wheat family off of the place, period, including all livestock feeds and pet foods, and we use shavings instead of straw.

I'm not eating the stuff. :rolleyes: If I were to get a pumpkin out of a straw display, I'd just hose the thing off beforehand, if it were to come into the house later. I keep towels in my back bay of the cars, over rubber matts, and then there is the pickup truck bed for carrying other things.

You may be surprised that some of those farms are likely to have a gluten intolerant person running it, living or working there already.

For restaurants, as long as he wasn't working directly in the kitchen with flying flours dust or handling dough, it could be do-able.