Pegleg84

Colonoscopy - What To Ask And What To Expect

Rate this topic

Hello all

so, I finally saw my GP today to get a referral to a gastroenterologist. I've been gluten free for 3.5 years, and still haven't seen a GI!

I've been having a lot of stomach pain and (likely) non-gluten related symptoms lately, so want to see if something else is wrong, or if I need to cut more out of my diet. (I have told my Dr flat-out that I'm not willing to do a gluten challenge for an endoscopy/official diagnosis. As far as my genetics and symptoms say, I have Celiac.)

Anyway, she is sending me for a colonoscopy first, then will see a GI (in hopefully not too many months). I have a consultation appointment next week, where I'm sure I'll get the low-down on the whole procedure.

For you professionals, any advice on what to ask at the consultation? And what to prepare for with the procedure?

This is necessary, but I'm not exactly excited, so the more info the better.

Thanks!

Peg

GI docs do the colonoscopy so I think you would see one before the procedure. While they are doing the colonoscopy, they can do an endo, too. Get both ends at once.

I agree get both procedures done at the same time. They won't be able to diagnose celiac if you have been gluten free for years but they can rule out other problems like ulcers and make sure your villi are fully healed and that you are not dealing with refractory celiac.

Thanks guys

I'll be sure to ask about getting an endoscopy done as well. Get all the pain over at once.

(part of the reason why i've never been officially diagnosed was not wanting to suffer any longer to wait and get a biopsy done. Also, having things down my throat/up my arse not exactly on my to-do list...)

The procedures themselves are easy peasy. You are given a memory-erasing drug so it is as though you are knocked out the entire time. The colonoscopy prep isn't the most fun thing in the world (you drink a lot of liquid in a certain timeframe that causes serious diarrhea) but it is really not that bad. I had zero pain before, during or after both procedures. The last thing I remember is talking to my surgeon about cooking then suddenly I was in the recovery room, with my blurry husband holding my hand. My gut felt ever-so-slightly odd for two days but it was negligible. Two hours after the procedure I ate a full dinner with no problems.