Kirkwood41

Blood Result Interpretation

Rate this topic

Hi can anyone tell me what my blood results mean ?

I have just been diagnosed with pernicious anaemia and have been tested for celiac disease because of this, my results are as follows,

IGA Anti TTG measurment 0.2. Normal range is (0.0 - 3.0 )

I would be grateful for any advice.

The test you had run is a screening test to detect if you are producing antibodies that indicate Celiac Disease. Yours is negative, meaning you are not making the antibodies.

A negative tTG IgA is good, but not enough to rule out Celiac Disease if you have symptoms &/or nutritional deficiencies.

From what I understand pernicious anaemia means you are not absorbing B12 - it is a very good idea to be tested for Celiac Disease when nutritional deficiencies are present. Where you low in other nutrients? D? Iron?

It would be best to have an Full Celiac Blood Panel, but minimally you need to have the Total IgA blood test. If you are deficient in Total IgA your body can not make the antibodies that were tested in the screening blood test you had.

The full panel is best because Celiac testing is not exact and many of us test negative on one or more of the tests - running them all gives the best opportunity to rule out Celiac Disease.

Full Celiac Blood Panel - you had the test in bold:

Total Serum IgA

Tissue Transglutaminase IgA and IgG

Gliadin IgA and IgG

Endomysial Antibody IgA

Deamidated Gliadin Peptide IgA and IgG

Feel free to ask questions, Celiac Disease testing is far from simple.

Good Luck!

Were you diagnosed with pernicious anemia or a b12 deficiency? The two are not necessarily the same thing. Pernicious anemia is a very specific disease. As I understand it you are b12 deficient because you are missing Intrinsic Factor which is necessary for the transport of b12 during the methylation cycle. So, I think, Celiac really has nothing to do with pernicious anemia. Celiac b12 deficiencies are because of the damage in the small intestine so it is not absorbed. Pernicious Anemia happens because of missing Intrinsic Factor. I'm a little confused why your doctor would diagnose you with PA and then say you have Celiac unless there were other factors indicating Celiac....?

Were you diagnosed with pernicious anemia or a b12 deficiency? The two are not necessarily the same thing. Pernicious anemia is a very specific disease. As I understand it you are b12 deficient because you are missing Intrinsic Factor which is necessary for the transport of b12 during the methylation cycle. So, I think, Celiac really has nothing to do with pernicious anemia. Celiac b12 deficiencies are because of the damage in the small intestine so it is not absorbed. Pernicious Anemia happens because of missing Intrinsic Factor. I'm a little confused why your doctor would diagnose you with PA and then say you have Celiac unless there were other factors indicating Celiac....?

both are auto immune