Ligii13

Question About Endoscopy

Rate this topic

Hello,

So I went for an endoscopy on Thursday. When they did it the dr met with us after and said he didn't see anything abnormal. He took a bunch of sample to have tested. Is it normal to not see anything during the endoscopy when Celiac is suspected? Any info would be great.

If the doctor comes out and tells you that they could visibly see damage I figure it must be bad. However, it's not uncommon for the GI doc to say it looks fine in a lot of instances. Since the damage that celiac does is at the cellular level, the biopsy samples need to be viewed under a microscope. I was told my intestine looked fine with only mild inflammation. My biopsy showed villous atrophy.

It would not be severe damage for sure, but the biopsies (samples) that your doctor took would have to be tested and then you will have more precise information.

Even if the samples come back normal/negative, you may still have a gluten or wheat intolerance.

In my case, everything comes back normal/negative and I'm still feeling horrible pain if I eat certain breads/pastas.