sagonterman

Going To Talk To Dr Tomorrow

Rate this topic

I hope this post does not turn into a book!

In April 2012 I was having pretty consistant numbess in my arms. I went to the Dr. She did all sorts of blood work and then more blood work. The first round showed that I had too many red blood cells, and then she tested my Iron Ferrtin. It showed that I was iron deficiant. She put me on iron supplements for about 6 weeks, I went back in and the blood work came back normal. We explained the anemia as a result of bad periods, recent blood donation, and becoming a vegetarian. I went on a prenatal multiviatmin at her suggestion.

Fast forward to July. I had been having leg cramps and the second toe on both of my feet went numb. In August, my legs went numb and I am having weakness in both legs. I had my Gallbladder out in June of 2011 and I chalked my stomach aches and bloating up to that. I have had D. and consipation, floating stool, and mucus in my stool. Again, foolishly I think I thought this was all due to my gallbladder removal.

I went into the Dr for the numbness 2 weeks ago. She has referred me to a neurologist for an EMG but I cannot get in until the end on the month.

In the meantime, my weakness, numbess and overwheling feeling of ickiness continues to get worse.

My sister thinks I have Celiac Disease and that is why I have made and appointment for tomorrow. I am going to ask the Dr to test me.

What to you seasoned pros think? Does it sound like celiac disease? I am nervous to have to test done because if it is not positive, I will have to go through with the Neurologist appointment. And that is scary.

Thanks in advance!

Sarah

Welcome Sarah. It is hard to say - it could be celiac (or gluten intolerance); do get the blood tests and that will rule in (or out) celiac most often, although they are not 100% reliable. It is possible to have small intestine damage from celiac and a negative blood test. Although it sounds like your symptoms are primarily neurological and these often don't show up on the blood tests. Certainly, all these symptoms -- I had my Gallbladder out in June of 2011 and I chalked my stomach aches and bloating up to that. I have had D. and constipation, floating stool, and mucus in my stool -- also sound like celiac.

Make sure that your doctor orders a full celiac panel and not just the tTG IgA. The full panel is

• AGA (antigliadin antibodies)-IgA
  • AGA-IgG
  • tTG (anti-tissue transglutaminase)-IgA
  • EMA (anti-endomysial antibodies)-IgA
  • DGP (deamidated gliadin peptide)
  • Total serum IgA

It will probably take a week or so to get the results. Best wishes whichever way it turns out, and do let us know the results.

Thanks for your advice Mushroom! I am 36 and I am just ready to feel better. I think if I at least knew what was going on, I could cope with it better!

Yeah, thats soooo not normal after having the gallbladder out (had mine out... a little over a year ago).

Get tested, stay ON gluten until all testing is done.

Regardless of the results, after the testing is over, try the diet.