Rate this topic

Hi, the doctor finally ordered the celiac blood tests for my dad and he said the results are normal. But after the test I suggested my dad try a gluten free diet. It's been almost a week and on a scale of 1 to 10 my dad say's that the pain and tenderness in his stomach is down to about a 2 (it was a 7 to 9 for about 5 months straight) I just happy that my dad seems to be getting better at this point. My dad and I still think he's at very least gluten intolerant since he's starting to feel better without gluten. But could he still have celiac? Maybe someone can help me understand his test result's. I scanned the section of the paper that show his results, it's the jpg file :)

post-53035-0-70264800-1351544803_thumb.j

Did they do a total IGA? It isn't uncommon for us to be IGA deficient and that would throw off the IGA tests.

I don't really think so. The results that I posted is the only celiac testing they ordered for my dad (and for some reason they gave my dad a some what difficult time about it)

I don't really think so. The results that I posted is the only celiac testing they ordered for my dad (and for some reason they gave my dad a some what difficult time about it)

Unfortunately many doctors are not aware that if a person's Total Serum IgA is deficient - there is no way the body to make enough of the antibodies that are measured in the IgA based celiac tests - THUS false negatives on all IgA based tests.

Your Dad did have a DGP IgG, but the Total IgA is a very important to confirm any IgA results.

For now, I agree the improvement after removing gluten is more important than any blood test result.

I hope he continues to improve :)

• Upvote 1