This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Questions About My 5 Year Old

AandGsmomma

AandGsmomma Apprentice

I found out that I have issues with Gluten. I believe I have Celiacs becauase I have several vitamin deciancies and my grandmother had it. Im IGA deficient so the blood work always comes back negative. I had a Endoscopy but they didnt very many samples. Im becoming concerned about my five year old and Im not sure if Im being crazy or what. She has always been extreamly pale, like you can map her vains pale. Someone recently pointed out that she always has dark circles under her eyes, even though she gets plenty of sleep. Constipation has always been an issue. The other day when she finally did poop is was a lighter color and it was big enough to come from a grown man.

Behavior wise she can be whinny but what five year old isnt. She also worries and gets so upset about nothing.

I know ypu wouldnt be able to give medical advice, but Im wondering of this sounds like your child. Our doctors are pretty clueless around here. She is pretty tall for her age and always has been.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

shadowicewolf Proficient

Well, you could always get her the blood test. The Constipation is one reason to get checked.

I'm pale as a ghost (you can easily see my veins and i burn quickly and never tan), unlike my family.

The behavioral things sound normal for a five year old.

rosetapper23 Explorer

At the celiac conferences, they always discuss how children with celiac can suffer from anxiety, depression, and mood disorders. I've also known many celiac children with dark circles under their eyes and pale skin--she should definitely get tested. Regardless of the outcome, though, you might consider making your home a gluten-free one to see if you both feel better.

AandGsmomma Apprentice

Thanks! I know I feel better so I will talk to her doctor and see what she suggests.

Cara in Boston Enthusiast

The constipation alone is enough to request testing. Also, you don't have to have a diagnosis to figure out you are sensitive to gluten, just tell your doctor that you are and you are concerned that your child might be too.

My son's ONLY symptom was behavior. He went from being a normal 5 year old (no angel) to suddenly having huge tantrums over nothing. The smallest thing (putting on his socks) would set him off. Things he liked (homework, complicated lego sets) were suddenly "boring". The doctor gave him the blood test and one of the 5 came back positive - all the others were normal. It was very confusing. I got my blood tested too (since by then I realized I had all the "classic" symptoms of celiac) and tested positive as well.

My endoscopy came back negative but his was positive. Again, the tests are really confusing. We have both been gluten free for almost 2 years and have been feeling MUCH better. We only see the tantrums when he accidently gets glutened.

Behavior problems are considered one of the most common symptoms of celiac in young children.

Cara

AandGsmomma Apprentice

I called her doctor today and Im waiting to hear back. Today when she got home from school I had to read a letter and she wanted me to read her a book. When I told her to wait for me to finish reading the letter all hell broke loose and she basically flipped out for well over an hour.

The triage nurse wanted me to have her see a mental health person, I insisted that I want to rule out all possible physical causes first. We will see whatthe ped says.

shadowicewolf Proficient

Just a thought, children pick up behaviors from other children sometimes (ie: they see it at school, they try it at home). Monkey see monkey do and all that jazz.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mamaupupup Contributor

I agree 100% with Cara from Boston. I too have a daughter whose primary symptom was behavior. She was irritable, clingy, moody, etc. She was all of these things because of gluten. We would not have figured this out if I had not tested her sister for Celiac...turns out that both girls and I have Celiac.

My biggest piece of advice is: trust yourself and your intuition.

What I've found is that only very experienced doctors focused on Celiac Disease and other parents who have had similar experiences with their children (like Cara from Boston) understand the behavioral/neurological impact of gluten on humans.

frieze Community Regular

I called her doctor today and Im waiting to hear back. Today when she got home from school I had to read a letter and she wanted me to read her a book. When I told her to wait for me to finish reading the letter all hell broke loose and she basically flipped out for well over an hour.

The triage nurse wanted me to have her see a mental health person, I insisted that I want to rule out all possible physical causes first. We will see whatthe ped says.

this is very poor practice, a GOOD psych will tell you to r/o all potential physical/chemical issues first!
AandGsmomma Apprentice

Thanks! It didnt sound right to me to have her see mental health first without seeing the pediatrician.

Archived