Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Worried mommy

Are There Any Other Tests?

Hi, my 8 year old had a full panel of blood work that came back negative. We have an apt with GI doctor for the biopsy results tomorrow. If that comes back negative is there any other test that can be done beside the genetic one. I have started her on a gluten-free for about a week and half and have noticed a big diffrence in a positive way.

My main concern is that I want to make sure weather she has celiac or not is there a definite answer?

What is the diffrence between a gluten intolerance and gluten sensitivity?

Hope to get some answers tomorrow. Would love any feedback and or questions to ask dr.

The terms gluten intolerance and gluten sensitivity are interchangeable and are used to distinguish between actual celiac disease and a problem with gluten that is not diagnosable as celiac. Non-celiac gluten sensitivity is a relatively new addition to the doctor lexicon, although we gluten sensitives have known about it for a lot longer. There are, however, no tests to define it yet although research is currently (finally!!, I might add) under way. The genetic test, of course, does not diagnose, merely shows a predisposition to develop the condition.

The best test ultimately is response to a gluten free diet. Since the child does not understand the placebo effect, if she responds positively to the diet then you have your answer that gluten was the problem, celiac or not. Let us know her biopsy results and what the GI has to say. By the way, were any of her blood tests even slightly positive? And did they do the total serum IgA?

Welcome to the boards and let us know what else we can help with. :)

I believe some have had tests done through Enterolab such as stool tests. I have never used them, or looked into them, but some people around here seem to have been happy with their product.

It could be that your 8 yo is a non-celiac gluten intolerant. Those with NCGI have pretty much all the same nasty symptoms as a celiac, just minus the damage to the villi in the small intestines. I don't believe it is classified as an autoimmune disease, but that's a good thing if it's what your child has.

I am also lactose intolerant, and it is surprising how painful it is to drink a glass a milk when no disease is involved. An intolerance is a serious issue that you should not let your medical practitioners ignore. A gluten intolerance could really impact your daughter's health.

My three boys tested negative to the blood work but two have shown obvious signs of improved health after months on the gluten-free diet. I assume that they are gluten intolerant but then treatment is the same so I keep them on the diet. It's possible they are celiacs (about 25% of celiacs test negative) but the diet is still gluten-free... In fact, many autoimmune disease patients are advised to eat gluten free to reduce inflammation and help in the treatment of other disorders (RA, Lupus, even Hashimotos).

Anyway, good luck. Perhaps search around or start a thread on Enterolab to see what others say (or have said) about it.