This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Cracks/sores At Corners Of Mouth

JaneWhoLovesRain

JaneWhoLovesRain Enthusiast

I know these can be related to celiac when one is actively eating gluten but I have been gluten-free for 3 years so why would I suddenly get these when I haven't had them before?  They look awful, feel awful and scare me because now I think there is some underlying disease I have that is causing them.  I believe the medical term is angular cheilitis or perleche.

Jane

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

srall Contributor

I am speaking only from personal experience here.  There may be much better advisers.  I personally get those cracks when I'm vitamin B deficient.   Usually a few high doses of b will get rid of those cracks pretty quickly.   I know celiacs are often deficient in b.   

Also, one of my really good friends is a nutritionist.  I haven't seen her on a professional basis, but she has told me in the past that those cracks might be indicative of yeast overgrowth, or yeast infection.  

So, I guess you could try the vitamins and getting rid of the sugar and yeast for awhile. 

eta:  When my daughter was first diagnosed that was one of her worst symptoms.  They took weeks to clear up (it seemed) but they did clear up.  I think it was a combo of high doses of vit B and diet change.

Lady Eowyn Apprentice

Not had these but I always believed it was B vitamin deficiency - B2 especially, I think.

gatita Enthusiast

Yep, I had them in college and again now when gluten-free.

In me they are a clear sign of vitamin B6 deficiency, riboflavin. I take a high-dose B complex and they are gone in a few days.

EDIT: I sit corrected LOL... I mean B2, not B6....

JaneWhoLovesRain Enthusiast

Thanks for your input, it is very helpful.  I have read they can be a vitamin B deficiency, yeast or possible baterial infection.

I hope it is as simple as a vitamin b deficieny.  I read this is rare in the US because most of our cereals and breads are fortified with vitamins.  But since I'm not eating fortified breads and cereals or dairy products or red meat I could very well be low in this.  I bought some B supplements, we'll see how they work.  I have my 6 month dental cleaning appt tomorrow, maybe he will  have some input.

• 2 weeks later...
DerpTyler Newbie

I would still be weary that gluten could be slipping in your diet. Canker sores may seem random, but they are an immune system fail just like celiac disease is, so there is usually something that triggers them.

CaliSparrow Collaborator

Wouldn't a yeast overgrowth be helped by taking a probiotic? My nutritionist told me that taking a probiotic is very important for us.

Good luck,

Cali

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Juliebove Rising Star

I get them from a B deficiency.  I take a B and C complex and within days of starting on it, they go away.

Archived