This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

How Long Does It Take For One To Feel Better?

arocchio

arocchio Newbie

Hi, I am new to the forum.  First, I have known that I have some type of gluten sensitivity for awhile, if not celiac.  I have constant back pain, and I have noticed it increases or decreases according to my bread/gluten intake.  Also in college I avoided EVERYTHING the bakery made because I learned from process of elimination that withing 30-60 minutes of eating their delightful bread I would get stomach pains that made me cry and literally fall down wherever I was.  Sometimes I would be walking to class and have to just sit down on the sidewalk for 5 minutes until I could walk again.  That being said, I have had about 4 doctors in my life tell me to either go off gluten or suggest I get tested.  I always blew it off because, honestly, I thought "gluten intolerance" was just a new fad-type diagnosis (ignorant, I know).  So recently I have changed my mind.

I try to tell people "I am healthy."  I do not drink, smoke, or use drugs.  I am vegetarian   I exercise about 4 times a week.  I am not over weight.  I never eat fast food or overly processed food.  I don't buy "junk food" I have had fitness test conducted and in all categories I am above average for my age (32).  On paper I am healthy.  But healthy doesn't feel like this.

Healthy isn't loosing all her hair!  

Healthy doesn't bruise when I butterfly lands on her (exaggeration)

Healthy doesn't need 10 hours of sleep at night

Healthy doesn't have constant back pain, and joint pain

Healthy doesn't have uncontrollable acne

Healthy don't feel anxious all the time (even with therapy)

Healthy doesn't feel foggy all the time

Healthy doesn't get random debilitating side cramps that feel like a butcher knife had been stabbed in her stomach

Healthy doesn't go to the ER with those cramps just to be turned away when nurses tell you you just needed to have a BM

Healthy doesn't have two consecutive miscarriages after an extremely easy time with their first child.

Healthy doesn't then have doctors tell her she isn't ovulating, then she has endometriosis (when she's NEVER been told that before)

Healthy doesn't get constant bladder or yeast infections after going on bread binges (Yes I have noticed they seem to coincide)

Healthy doesn't have constant allergy symptoms dispite going to two different allergists, having allergy tests taken, and being told she is not allergic to anything. 

--constant sinus drainage, 3-4 sinus infections a year and itchy eyes

Healthy don't feel like she is always in the verge of getting the flu.  Like my body is always fighting a bug

SO those symptoms being put out there.  I have decided to go off gluten for 60 days and see how I feel.  I know now that this is not the best way to approach things.  Thanks to this forum I now understand why testing is so important.

However, I have been off gluten for all of 5 days.  I have already noticed my face looks better (not as inflamed looking).  My back pain was better until this morning (the Rice dream rice milk I had last night is not gluten free).  And this morning when my son woke up I didn't feel like I needed an additional 2 hours of sleep on the couch.

SO my questions is. . . . How long after being gluten free did YOU start to feel relief from some of your symptoms?     

I know everyone is different.  But I would love to here about other's recovery time.

Thanks.

I have found this forum AMAZING.  I wish I could reach through my computer and give you all a hug

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MissyShelle Rookie

Hi, I am new to the forum.  First, I have known that I have some type of gluten sensitivity for a while, if not celiac.  I have constant back pain, and I have noticed it increases or decreases according to my bread/gluten intake.  Also in college I avoided EVERYTHING the bakery made because I learned from process of elimination that withing 30-60 minutes of eating their delightful bread I would get stomach pains that made my cry and literally fall down wherever I was.  Sometimes I would be walking to class and have to just sit down in the sidewalk for 5 minutes until I could walk again.  That being said, I have had about 4 doctors in my life tell me to either go off gluten or suggest I get tested.  I always blew it off because, honestly, I thought "gluten intolerance" was just a new fad-type diagnosis (ignorant, I know).  So recently I have changed my mind.

I try to tell people "I am healthy."  I do not drink, smoke, or use drugs.  I am vegetarian   I exercise about 4 times a week.  I am not over weight.  I never eat fast food or overly processed food.  I don't buy "junk food" I have had healthy fitness test conducted and in all categories I am above average for my age (32).  On paper I am healthy.  But healthy doesn't feel like this.

Healthy isn't loosing all her hair!  

Healthy doesn't bruise when I butterfly lands on her (exaggeration)

Healthy doesn't need 10 hours of sleep at night

Healthy doesn't have constant back pain, and joint pain

Healthy doesn't have uncontrollable acne

Healthy don't feel anxious all the time (even with therapy)

Healthy doesn't feel foggy all the time

Healthy doesn't get random debilitating side cramps that feel like a butcher knife had been stabbed in her stomach

Healthy doesn't go to the ER with those cramps just to be turned away when nurses tell you you just needed to have a BM

Healthy doesn't have two consecutive miscarriages after an extremely easy time with their first child.

Healthy doesn't then have doctors tell her she isn't ovulating, then she has endometriosis (when she NEVER been told that before)

Healthy doesn't get constant bladder you yeast infections after going on bread binges (Yes I have noticed they seem to coincide)

SO those symptoms being put out there.  I have decided to go off gluten for 60 days and see how I feel.  I know now that this is not the best way to approach things.  Thanks to this forum I know understand why testing is so important.

However, I have been off gluten for all of 5 days.  I have already noticed my face looks better (not as inflamed looking).  My back pain was better until this morning (now know the Rice dream rice milk I had last night is not gluten free).  And this morning when my son woke up I didn't feel like I needed an additional 2 hours of sleep on the couch.

SO I questions is. . . . How long after being gluten free does a person start to feel relief from some of their symptoms?     

Thanks.

I have found this forum AMAZING.  I wish I could reach thought my computer and give you all a hug.

I do not know the answer since I am in the same boat. Just wanting to say I hope you feel better soon! I have many of the same symptoms of you and I am in the process of getting appointments to discuss being tested. 

1desperateladysaved Proficient

I hope "healthy" will be feeling truly better soon.

I first noticed Celiac symptoms atleast 30 years back.  I lived a foggy and fatigued existense for that time.  Six years back I had serious heart trouble.  The heart trouble reversed when I took supplements my chiro recommended.  I went gluten free a year ago.  I went grain free 10 months ago.  I went on a rotational diet.  I added additional supplements.  My mind cleared a couple of months ago.

To speed healing I recommend spending time analysing how to make improvements.  Spending time to read on the forum can be helpful.  Hopefully, you won't need to do all everything that someone else needs to do, but I don't want you to quit until you do..  Supplements have been a big help for me.  Checking for food intolerances was a big key for me.  All of this does take time and effert.  You started on the road and now I say keep walking.  I don't know how long the road will be for you, but you are headed in the right direction.

Watch out for gluten.

Diana

MJ-S Contributor

Everyone is different in terms of healing time. I noticed a dramatic improvement from the worst symptoms almost immediately (days to weeks). Then it was very up and down after that. I took another step forward after 6 months (when I gave up soy). Overall it took 18 months before I felt more healthy than sick on a consistent basis.

18 months is a timeframe often given by people.Some take less time than that, some more. It may also depend on how much damage was done before diagnosis, and for how long. I was in my late 30's when I got sick and it was very sudden onset. I figured out dairy almost immediately, but it took almost a year of being horribly ill before I (well, my nutritionist, really) figured out the gluten piece. In hindsight I was probably affected for years before the debilitating GI issues surfaced.

SanAntonioGF Newbie

You have to consider the degree of how horrible each of us felt to understand that a slight improvement over our health was significant.  I can say within a week I was feeling better.  In a month's time I was feeling GREAT compared to where I had been.  However, it still took a full year to find the all the hidden gluten in my diet and medicine cabinet (generic Ibuprofen).  Overall, my health was much better, but I wanted more than just better.  I wanted to get rid of all the GERD.  I wanted to get rid of all the stomach swelling.  I've eliminated vinegar, citric acid, aspartame and I'm down to one cup of caffeine a day.  The GERD is gone (I'm taking nothing to control it).  The only problem I have left is swelling when I eat rice flour.  This week I've decided to eliminate rice.  Stick with it.  You'll see and feel the difference. 

mahart Newbie

I had posted the other day in regards to my husband. it had been a week and a half with no obvious relief of symptoms. Apparently he need a week and 5 days! His diarrhea is almost completely gone (5-8 times a day of terrible diarrhea), the extreme sweating is almost completely gone ( we had just accepted this as normal over the years..he would sweat all the time, regardless of temps, exertion..like..run off your head sweating), definitely more energy, and overall is without a question feeling better. It is amazing to us. Its two weeks today, and now we are wondering to what degree he is sensitive. Looking forward to seeing how good he can actually feel!

arocchio Newbie

thanks for the encouragement everyone.  I am not sure why I feel so horrible today.  I am VERY tired.  I was light headed and dizzy most of the day.  Twice I stood up and almost fainted after getting a crazy head rush.  This used to happen to me a lot.  Last night after dinner I felt nauseated, and had a stomach ache all night.  My stomach was still sore today.  When I say sore I mean my abdomen is very tender to the touch.

The only thing I could think of is that our brown rice doesn't specifically say Gluten Free.  But everything else we ate was gluten free, soy free and vegan.

Now that it is evening I am feeling better.

Could I have been exposed to gluten and had this much of a reaction? 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 2 weeks later...
arocchio Newbie

wasn't glutened.  Just pregnant :)

solitaire-master Rookie

Pregnancy could definitely be the cause of your symptoms. You should get checked out by a doctor...jk. 

Congratulations!!!!

EmiPark210 Contributor

Congratulations! But if you have a history of reacting painfully to bread products, it is still worth getting checked. If you do have celiac's or some sort of gluten intolerance there is a chance that your baby could develop it as well. You do have to go back on a gluten diet for 12 weeks for an antibody test or 3 weeks for an endoscopy (about). However, if the diet change is helping and you've had issues with miscarriages then maybe wait till after you have your baby to do a gluten challenge. There is a forum page for dealing with pregnancy and celiacs so they could be a big help there!

Archived