This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Bad Dreams And Fear

Dozey

Dozey Apprentice

Since I have been ill I have been having trouble with bad/ disturbing dreams, waking between 3- 5am ish and being full of fear. My hands are clenched and my shoulders up around my ears! Then I can't get back to sleep and feel awful for the rest of the day. It doesn't happen every night and I'm wondering if it has to do with what I am eating. I suppose it would be an idea to keep a food diary but I don't know what to look for when. Does anyone have any ideas please? Would it be something I had at lunch or dinner, how long would it take for food to affect me like that. Grateful for any ideas. Thank you

Jo

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

Well, Jo it looks like every time you post a symptom, you get me answering "I had that too" . LOL

I had horrible insomnia, thrashing around in my  bed in the middle of the night,  finally getting up and walking round and round my house for 3 years. It was insane. 

Now, I sleep through the night (and I have never been able to do that in my entire life)

Your body is revved up on gluten. You have other neurological symptoms, so it is understandable that you also have disturbed sleep.

Your adrenal glands are over-taxed from the stress of being ill, malnutrion and pain. 

I know you are waiting for your test results, but everything you tell me says you are one of us.

Here are some Pub Med articles that discuss anxiety, migraines, ataxia etc, in relationship to gluten and celiac.

Open Original Shared Link

Dozey Apprentice

Thanks IrishHeart, it's such a relief to know someone else knows what I'm talking about. My son often says it will be nice when I start making sense

I will take a look at that article, and thank you for always responding.

Jo

IrishHeart Veteran

There are many threads on here about sleep problems, bad dreams, etc. Nope, you are not alone!

You are making sense, hon--to us, anyway. :)

Dozey Apprentice

There are many threads on here about sleep problems, bad dreams, etc. Nope, you are not alone!

You are making sense, hon--to us, anyway. :)

Thanks again, this is such a supportive site.

Jo

GFinDC Veteran

Hi Dozey,

Insomnia does seem to happen to quite a few of us.  Another thing that people talk about with muscle tension is magnesium deficiency.  Magnesium helps relax muscles.  /too much will cause D tho.  Might be something to experiment with.

Foods don't always give noticeable symptoms right away.  Sometimes effects can build up slowly and get worse over time.  Like weeks, not hours.  Those can be the tricky ones to figure out.  You can't nessacarily find those by stopping them, for a day either.,  It is better to stop suspicious foods for a month at least.at least.  An elimination diet is good tool for finding food reactions.  But it wouldn't be very useful as long as you are still eating gluten.  Maybe after your gluten-free diet start it would be something to consider.  But even then it would be better to  wait 6 months  or so before doing one.  Things can be kind of unsettled for 6 months to a year after starting the gluten-free diet.There are some things like dairy that are known to cause problems for many celiacs though.  It wouldn't hurt your testing to stop dairy now.  Dairy can cause insomnia in some people.

Dozey Apprentice

Hi Dozey,

Insomnia does seem to happen to quite a few of us.  Another thing that people talk about with muscle tension is magnesium deficiency.  Magnesium helps relax muscles.  /too much will cause D tho.  Might be something to experiment with.

Foods don't always give noticeable symptoms right away.  Sometimes effects can build up slowly and get worse over time.  Like weeks, not hours.  Those can be the tricky ones to figure out.  You can't nessacarily find those by stopping them, for a day either.,  It is better to stop suspicious foods for a month at least.at least.  An elimination diet is good tool for finding food reactions.  But it wouldn't be very useful as long as you are still eating gluten.  Maybe after your gluten-free diet start it would be something to consider.  But even then it would be better to  wait 6 months  or so before doing one.  Things can be kind of unsettled for 6 months to a year after starting the gluten-free diet.There are some things like dairy that are known to cause problems for many celiacs though.  It wouldn't hurt your testing to stop dairy now.  Dairy can cause insomnia in some people.

Hi and thanks for your reply. I am finding all this a bit confusing and scary. There is so much to consider, especially as I don't even know if I am celiac yet. I just want ro feel better and be the old me again.

Jo

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFinDC Veteran

... I just want to feel better and be the old me again.

Jo

Ah, I can just hear Butters ( South Park ) saying that!  :)  I know how that is Dozey.  It may be you are lacking some essential vitamins and minerals.  When we don't get enough of the right stuff in our diets, or it isn't absorbed due to gut damage, our bodies have problems.  Our brains are not immune to nutrition problems.  Your doctor can do blood tests on your nutrient levels.  If you are low no a couple f them there has to be a reason.  People with celiac tend to have problems absorbing the fat soluble vitamins.

Dozey Apprentice

Ah, I can just hear Butters ( South Park ) saying that!  :)  I know how that is Dozey.  It may be you are lacking some essential vitamins and minerals.  When we don't get enough of the right stuff in our diets, or it isn't absorbed due to gut damage, our bodies have problems.  Our brains are not immune to nutrition problems.  Your doctor can do blood tests on your nutrient levels.  If you are low no a couple f them there has to be a reason.  People with celiac tend to have problems absorbing the fat soluble vitamins.

Well I do have b12 deficiency so I suppose there could be others. I am waiting results for vit D def now. I don't know what other things, apart from celiac, were asked for, but the nurse that took the blood said the doctor had ordered a few tests. Have to wait till Friday to find out. I have been so frightened by all the strange things I have been feeling but reading othere peoples experiences have helped that a bit. I think I am still coming to terms with the fact I have some illness or other. I am quite thin now having lost 4 st over the last year and a half and that's a bit frightening too. Thank you for your reply.

Jo

Archived