Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nich617

Yet Another Request For Thoughts On Lab Results

I was recently tested for celiac with the tissue transglutaminase igA test (result was negative at 4.9. Reference range was <20=negative) and total igA (result was 381...just slightly higher than reference range of 69-380). I was also given a CBC with automated differentials that came back normal except for MCHC result was low at 32.2 with a range of 33-37.

Prior to this testing I had been eating a gluten free diet for about 3-4 weeks that resulted in a reduction of my symptoms. I am aware that my results may not be accurate due to the lack of gluten. I would be happy to listen to anyone's thoughts about my results. I have an appt with a new GI doc in a few weeks because the other left me hanging and communication was severely lacking. I am debating asking for another test when I go as I started eating gluten again a few days ago.

Also does anyone know what a high igA test result indicates?

Thanks!

igA is produced naturally in the intestines. If abnormal there is indication of inflammation specific to intestinal problems but would suggest, not necessarily diagnose a condition.

MCH  indicates the size and color of red blood cells reflecting the concentration of hemoglobin in a sample. With otherwise normal values MCH can occasionally fall outside a normal range without being significant.

When a lab value falls slightly outside of normal, particularly in the presence of nothing to support the suspicion of a problem the common response is to wait. There are many variables affecting results that show up in this way such as machiine errors, time between blood draw and processing and normal body cycles.

Don't ever be afraid to ask. Education is power. :)

I think the IgA is just one aspect of an active immune system, i believe it concerns areas of the body that has mucus like the intestinal tract and lungs. There are other parts too like the IgG, IgE, and IgM. I do not know of any problems of it being high but I am not an expert.

A biopsy might be a good idea for you at this point. Damage is often present for a while after going gluten-free. Autoantibodies go negative before the damage disappears.

After being gluten-free for a month, I imagine that you might have to consume gluten for a few weeks to get auto antibody levels up again... But again, I am not an expert. If you do have to eat gluten for a few weeks, I hope it isn't too hard on you.

Best wishes and welcome to the board.

Edited to say, the pp posted as I was, so ditto.

Eat lots of gluten - bread till you see the new gastro - doctor.

This is a sample Celiac panel that covers more bases:

Total IgA
Transglutaminase IgA      tTG-IgA
Deaminated Gliadin IgA   DGP-IgA
Deaminated Gliadin IgG   DGP-IgG

Lucky you, I hope my doctor can send me to another gastro-doctor.

It didn't go well with the one I saw today.

Thank you all for your input. I appreciate it. I have read conflicting information and while I know no one can tell me exactly what is going  on but I am trying to get somewhat of an understanding as the Gastroenterologist I saw did not explain anything to me about my results and in fact, I couldn't even get a call back from her to ask these questions. To say I am irritated is an understatement. I wanted to discuss the possibility of doing an endoscopy but I refuse to go back so hopefully things will go better with the next doc. Good luck to all of you and thanks again!