Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

codemansmom

Celiac And Gerd / Reflux

Hi! I am new to this forum but am so relieved to be here. My little guy (age 6) was just recently diagnosed with Celiac solely based upon his TTG and EMA results (extremely elevated). We're actually going in for the biopsy in a few weeks to draw a final conclusion. I'm not doubting the Celiac diagnosis as I had removed gluten from his diet a few months ago and he turned into a new person. He went from being shy and removed to being a normal, energetic 6 year old. Just so you know, I figured this all out b/c he had a RAST test last year and was allergic to milk, eggs and wheat. Wheat was the final item we had eliminated. So that brings me up to today. In addition to being allergic to milk and eggs, he also cannot eat marinara sauce or drink orange juice. Anything acidic will just tear him up inside. The dietician tells me that this is a pretty clear case of GERD or Reflux and that the Celiac may have caused this.

I'm wondering if there is anyone out there who is in a similar situation and if so, how did you begin the healing process? He is having an endoscopy in a few weeks as well as acid level testing. As a mom, I am extremely challenged with feeding him. It seems as if every time I turn around, he has a reaction to something. Quite honestly, the the gluten free part is the easiest for me to manage. Finding gluten free that is dairy free and egg free is very difficult. I just need a break!! :)

Tracey

Hi Tracey,

Welcome to the forum! :)

Celiac disease can cause a lot of different symptoms.  Gerd is one and so is stomach pain.  Sometimes our stomachs and guts get very bloated and that can cause pain.  Especially when the gut is already inflamed and irritated to begin with.  You'll know more after the endoscopy.  They should take around 5 biopsy samples from the small intestine.  The biopsy samples are usually sent to alb for microscopic review.   Sometimes H. Pylori causes stomach pain also.

Here is a thread with some meal ideas.

https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/topic/97786-thread-for-gluten-free-dairy-soy-corn-and-nightshade-free-recipes/

What a relief to hear of another child being saved from decades of medical problems now that he knows he has Celiac.

Congratulations on being a pro active mother.

I did a food intolerance test in January and funnily some of the foods you mention are on my list.

From what I've read it's the dairy and gluten that damage the intestine which then causes leaky gut.

Hopefully he will heal. 

I read (but you will need to verify this), that coconut helps heal the intestines.

My son was diagnosed with celiac disease at age 10.  His main symptom was GERD.  He was also on an anti GERD diet as well as the gluten-free diet.  In our case, the GERD went away with the gluten-free diet so that we were able to add back things like tomatoes.  The thing that helped most was to stick to unprocessed foods.  Things like rice and potatoes, corn on the cob, pork tenderloins, vegetables and low acid fruits worked out well.  Kids become much less picky in their eating habits when their food stops making them sick.  

I hope that your son feels better soon.  It is hard to watch our kids suffer.

My son was diagnosed with celiac disease at age 10.  His main symptom was GERD.  He was also on an anti GERD diet as well as the gluten-free diet.  In our case, the GERD went away with the gluten-free diet so that we were able to add back things like tomatoes.  The thing that helped most was to stick to unprocessed foods.  Things like rice and potatoes, corn on the cob, pork tenderloins, vegetables and low acid fruits worked out well.  Kids become much less picky in their eating habits when their food stops making them sick.  

I hope that your son feels better soon.  It is hard to watch our kids suffer.

dilettantesteph -- Your posting gives me hope! :) I think we're doing very well on the gluten-free part, but the GERD is quite challenging. Well, the milk and egg allergy is also difficult but I just never know when something is going to trigger the GERD. He had orange sorbet the other night...gluten, milk and egg free. BUT it had orange juice concentrate in it. It was a horrible experience for him. :( Of course, I think to myself..."You shouldn't caught that!" and I feel terrible. :( If you have any other ideas w/ regards to foods your son had success with, please send along! Pork chops is also a favorite of my son's as well. He's also eating more salad these days, which I think is good. How did they know your son had GERD? Did they do any acid level testing? When he ingested gluten, was the GERD the only symptom he had? What did you give him to soothe his burn when this happened? Thank you so much for your response!  

I would recommend you stay away from all foods that are known to trigger GERD.  Have you tried any medications for GERD?  There are two main types of meds to treat GERD.  Then I would go for further testing such as the 24 Hour PH impedence probes and a Barium Study.  A really good ENT should be able to see signs of GERD in the rear of the throat.  Also, does your child have asthma or sinus/tonsil issues?  Really bad refluxing can cause pulmonary and ENT problems.

Hi, just wanted to recommend this cook book:

"The Healthy Gluten-Free Life: 200 Delicious Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, and Egg-Free Recipes!" by Tammy Credicott.

It has helped me a lot!! It's all very yummy and easy. Her husband has Celiac, and her two daughters have a lot of allergies. As far as your son's GERD, I think some of the recipes might agitate it, but over time as that heals, I think you(as well as others) will find this book very useful. She also has wonderful recipes for baked goods. Im sure he could eat those without it agitating his GERD. :) She also has a couple of ice cream recipes that I think you guys would like.