Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

greenbeanie

Trying To Wait Patiently

I got negative results from a partial celiac panel last week, though total IgA wasn't included so I don't know how much to trust the results. Anyhow, I hadn't realized that my doctor also ordered the celiac genetic tests from Prometheus Labs. I only found out because I received a letter from Prometheus about insurance billing. The letter said that the results had been sent to my doctor a full week ago. But I haven't heard anything yet, and this is very unusual because my doctor usually posts lab results online immediately. I contacted her office on Monday to request the results, and I was told that I'd hear back from someone within two business days. But I still haven't heard anything, and I'm going crazy with all the waiting.

I know the genetic tests alone are not definitive either way, but I just want all the data I can get right now. The report has been sitting at my doctor's office for a week, and I don't understand why no one will give me the results. It's not like she's waiting for my next appointment - I'm not even scheduled to see her again. 

Should I just keep waiting? For how long? Or risk annoying the doctor by inquiring again? I am so, so glad that she ordered the genetic tests (especially since my daughter is also in the process of getting tested, so my genes will surely be of interest to her doctors too). But I've been waiting for decades to figure out what's wrong, and the thought of a relevant piece of info just sitting there on her desk when no one will tell me the results is driving me crazy. I know I have a legal right to my own test results, but marching in and asserting that right seems more likely to alienate the office staff than to help...

Call again. You know they have the results. Get them to send a copy of the genetic tests and the other tests, if you don't have them. They may be able to email them if the records are eletronic.

Your not annoying the doctor. They may have missed the results or thought they had already called you.