Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

VeggieGal

Vaccinations For Pneumococcal And Flu ?

Thanks all of you; I wasnt sure whether to request them or not, as my dietician has not mentioned them to me but the website made out that we should have them.

Make sure to read the ingredients for any vaccine you take in.  The person giving shots has a list of ingredients in every box.

Personally, I am not concerned with gluten being in a shot or IV.  It is unlikely there will be a protein as large as a gluten molecule injected.  Also, the antibody reaction to gluten happens in the intestine not the muscle or blood stream.

The link I posted to the U of C Celiac Center does not mention to watch for gluten in a shot.  If that was a legitimate Celiac concern, I would think they would say so.

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/archives/faq/does-someone-with-celiac-disease-need-to-be-concerned-about-gluten-in-hospital-iv-medications

Does someone with celiac disease need to be concerned about gluten in hospital IV medications?

No. Gluten isn’t present in any IV preparation, but even if it was those with celiac disease need not be concerned, as gluten must be presented to and processed by the intestinal tract to be harmful to celiacs.

Personally, I am not concerned with gluten being in a shot or IV.  It is unlikely there will be a protein as large as a gluten molecule injected.  Also, the antibody reaction to gluten happens in the intestine not the muscle or blood stream.

The link I posted to the U of C Celiac Center does not mention to watch for gluten in a shot.  If that was a legitimate Celiac concern, I would think they would say so.

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/archives/faq/does-someone-with-celiac-disease-need-to-be-concerned-about-gluten-in-hospital-iv-medications

Does someone with celiac disease need to be concerned about gluten in hospital IV medications?

No. Gluten isn’t present in any IV preparation, but even if it was those with celiac disease need not be concerned, as gluten must be presented to and processed by the intestinal tract to be harmful to celiacs.

don't think that was her point.....

don't think that was her point.....

Maybe not....but this is CELIAC dot com so I'm assuming we are talking about gluten concerns.  :)

Just wondering what your thoughts are on having vaccinations against pneumococcal and flu as I've been reading that people with celiac disease could benefit?

http://www.coeliac.org.uk/gluten-free-diet-lifestyle/vaccinations

I think if you are prone to pneumonia or the flu which progresses to pneumonia, then it might be wise to have one.  I have never had the flu or pneumonia so would not take the vaccine.

I am not against vaccines because I do think they serve a good purpose for many diseases BUT I generally only take what I really think I need.

I think if you are prone to pneumonia or the flu which progresses to pneumonia, then it might be wise to have one. I have never had the flu or pneumonia so would not take the vaccine.

I am not against vaccines because I do think they serve a good purpose for many diseases BUT I generally only take what I really think I need.

Thanks Gemini I think I agree with you, I put enough medication in my system which I have no choice over so unless im desparate I'll leave alone.

Maybe not....but this is CELIAC dot com so I'm assuming we are talking about gluten concerns. :)

Thanks also Karen and Frieze.... it was still helpful tho Karen. I love this site that responses can diverse and we're continually learning :)