This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

3 Year Old With Unusual Symptoms

rhubarbandjake

rhubarbandjake Newbie

Hi there,

I have just been offered a celiac test by my gp for my 3 year old but I'm sceptical she that she is suffering from this as she seems to not have the main symptoms - anyway here goes...

Since infancy she has had trouble pooping - more recently up to a week or longer without going and extreme pain when she does - sometimes taking another week to get it out (crying and lying on the couch for a week) She has a raised bumpy rash on her upper arms and cheeks but it is not too visible as it has only a little redness - it is not sore or itchy at all for her. She has been moody and cries a lot which is not her normal character. She has started to lose weight but is still withing the 50% percentile (was just above, now a little under). anyway after watching her get worse over the last 12 months I finally put her on a 10 day elimination diet (sugar, eggs, dairy & gluten) not 100% but 99% or enough to see if it was food causing the issue, she had instant improvement and has been the dear wee girl we used to know. She poops every 2nd day now (unformed but not fatty).

I reintroduced everything and only got a reaction from wholegrain bread - within 1 hour she was crying and had an allergy ring on her backside. - Took her to DR to get advice on how to figure out if it was wheat, additives etc and she suggested Celiac. Her cousin has the gene but no one actually has it in the family (although there are a few sensitives)

Does this sound like Celiac to anyone - she suggested I let her eat whatever for the next two weeks including gluten every day until we get a blood test - started today and her rash is back and she has been very easily upset  for about 90 minutes after each meal - then fine again

part 2 is that I am breastfeeding a 7 month old right now who is showing the same poop every 10 days, gassy symptoms his sister did at that age (although not as bad) - should I go gluten free as well - I have heard of developmental problems occurring and I'd rather not take a wait and see approach.  I doubt very much I would show positive to celiac disease as I have zero tummy trouble although... I do have ADD and endometriosis which I understand is linked.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

nvsmom Community Regular

Constipation is a pretty common symptom. It was one of my main symptoms too. My mom has told me that as an infant, I used to have to strain and cry. Changes in mood are a main symptom in childhood celiacs too. I think getting her testing is worth a try, especially after she had a positive reaction to a (mostly) gluten-free diet. I think that shows that she either has celiac disease or Non-Celiac Gluten Intolerance/sensitivity (NCGI). NCGI has no diagnostic blood tests so you would need to try a 100% gluten-free trial and look for positive results... after she is done testing though, keep eating gluten until then.

The full celiac panel is:

• DGP IgA and DGP IgG (great test for detecting celiac disease in young children)
  • tTG IgA and tTG IgG
  • EMA IgA (detects advanced disease and is often negative in children)
  • total serum IgA (a control test)
  • AGA IgA and AGA IgG (older and less frequently used tests)

And as I said before, she could have NCGI if her celiac tests are negative, in which case she will need a strict gluten-free diet in order to feel well.

If you suspect problems in your 7 month old, you might want to get her and yourself tested... although I'm not sure if they test that young and if there is enough gluten in her diet for accurate results. Because celiac is genetic, you and their dad should also get tested. You might as well test before going gluten-free, just so you know if celiac disease is an issue for you.

Good luck and welcome to the board.  :)

cyclinglady Grand Master

I can't address the issues with the children, but I can tell you that I had no intestinal symptoms.  I have thyroiditis and iron deficiency anemia (Doc caught it during a routine physical).   There are four kinds of celiac and one of them without symptoms.  I think my source is either University of Chicago or UC San Diego.  You should get checked, if anything, to prevent other problems from developing.  

Good luck!  

rhubarbandjake Newbie

Thanks so much - just crossing fingers Dr is being dramatic!

Archived