Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Soakesie

Unsure- Symptoms

I am a 15 year old girl, and for almost two years now, I have been experiencing bad stomach cramps, diarrhea, and sometimes headaches immediately after eating. It usually happens almost instantly after finishing a meal- within 5-10 minutes. These symptoms are always together, yet very inconsistent. Once it happens, it happens all day, but may not happen the next day. Constipation is also apparent at times. All symptoms seem to have some (but still not a consistent) link to my menstrual cycle. I have gone to the doctor three times- once to tell him what was wrong, another to get an ultrasound, and a third for him to tell me he doesn't know what is wrong with me. I have tried cutting out lactose, to no avail- it was very hard to completely take away all dairy. I have not tried gluten free yet because it seems even harder. I have tried a food journal, for only 16 days and stopping, because it is hard to judge pain correctly when you're thinking about it too hard. I just know it hurts. You know? Could this be a mild case of Celiac disease? Are there tests my doctor can perform to decide? How should i move on from here? Help!

I am sorry you have to suffer like this.  I am glad you are searching for a root to your struggles.  You may be on the right track checking out celiac.  It would be good to find out for sure if you have it.  In order for the tests to be accurate, you must be eating gluten.  Good thing that you haven't tried removing it yet.  Here is the list of tests to run:

I believe I copied this list of tests from Guest134:

Total serum IgA- This has nothing to do with celiac however if you are low in this than all of your IgA based tests will likely be false negative
Deamidated Gliadin IgA- In IgA sufficiency this is the most accurate test on your body's response to gluten ingestion, if this is positive your body is having a negative reaction to the consumption.
Deamidated Gliadin IgA- Similar to it's IgA counterpart but particularly useful if you are IgA deficient.
Tissue Transglutaminase Ab- This is a marker of damage, if this is elevated your intestines are damaged and celiac is most likely the cause (about 95-98 percent specific to celiac)
Endomysial Ab- Another marker of damage that is extremely specific to celiac

I know it seems overwhelming to avoid certain food groups, but to get relief from the pains and struggles, it is well worth it.  I have often been disappointed to cut out foods, but have never failed yet to find a substitute that I really like.  It can be done.  Instead of dairy, I use coconut milk, almond milk, or homemade nut milk.  If you don't like one, keep trying others.

Are your parents supportive?  It is nice to have someone sort through this with you.

Welcome!

get a complete celiac blood test panel done.

that consists of: 

DGP iga/igg

TTG iga/igg

EMA

Total iga serum-this is a control test to make sure you are not iga deficient, and if you aren't it will validate the other iga results

good luck!

Edit:  Ditto to what 1desperatelysavelady said!  The only thing I did was change the second Deamidated Gliadin to igg based.

"Total serum IgA- This has nothing to do with celiac however if you are low in this than all of your IgA based tests will likely be false negative
Deamidated Gliadin IgA- In IgA sufficiency this is the most accurate test on your body's response to gluten ingestion, if this is positive your body is having a negative reaction to the consumption.
Deamidated Gliadin IgG- Similar to it's IgA counterpart but particularly useful if you are IgA deficient.
Tissue Transglutaminase Ab- This is a marker of damage, if this is elevated your intestines are damaged and celiac is most likely the cause (about 95-98 percent specific to celiac)
Endomysial Ab- Another marker of damage that is extremely specific to celiac"

wow, yes...u have every reason to suspect celiac. Don't get overwhelmed by the blood test details just ask your doctor for a celiac blood panel. 90% of people who have it dont know it & doctors rarely test for it - you might have to really push for it (its so ridiculous, doctors had no problem ordering catscans & ultrasounds for my son but a $400 blood test was deemed extreme).

If its not celiac, there is still a chance that gluten sensitivity is the problem & there is no test for this besides going gluten-free to see how you feel.

It is really scary to think about giving up foods like pizza & bread...and really hard to do. But getting really sick minutes after eating is really hard too - much harder in fact! I have 3 kids (younger than u) who are living gluten-free & doing really well. And by the way, we've found some pretty good pizza & bread too!