Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mousefan71

Huge Difference In Ttg Numbers Within 2 Weeks

I've posted on this board a few times.  My 9 year old daughter has been battling some pretty bad anxiety for the past few months.  In addition to therapy and a modified school schedule her Ped decided to run blood tests to check for a physical condition.  Everything was normal except the Ttg was over 100.  We decided to run the test a second time about 1 week later and it was 47.  She continued eating a regular diet during this timeframe.  Any idea what would cause such a huge reduction in Ttg in such a short timeframe?  We decided to start her gluten-free because she was having some other neurological symptoms such as numbness in her hands, legs and face, insomnia, rash, and still the anxiety.  We are getting an appt with a GI but don't want to have her scoped.  I'm just hoping gluten free is the key and I'm not missing something - the shift in Ttg numbers has be baffled though.

I think it's probably just due to changes in the body and everyday living. I've had TSH tests that have halved in a matter of weeks for no apparent reason... like your daughter, it was still a positive test. That's just my guess.

I hope you daughter feels better soon and doesn't experience any withdrawal going gluten-free.  Best wishes.

Autoimmune problems have a tendency to modulate quite dramatically.  As nvsmom stated, I have had thyroid testing that went crazy in a very short period of time and it's the same kind of testing....antibody and TSH testing.  I would bet that if you tested a number of people with elevated tTg, it would bounce around but doctors rarely do multiple tests, close together.

All of your daughters symptoms can be strongly gluten related and I am willing to bet she will improve well over time on the gluten-free diet.  Let us know if we can help with the diet!  :)