Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lacadienne

Salivary Gland Stones And Other Symptoms - Are These Related To Celiac?

Hello,

I am new to this forum, not diagnosed with celiac but increasingly wondering if I have related symptoms and if I should switch to a gluten free diet.

I have a number of gastro-intestinal issues which I have been able to control with herbal supplements and a healthy diet (bloating, stomach rumbling, flatulance, etc.) but recently some new issues have caught my attention and I am wondering if they could be related to gluten intolerance / celiac.

Over the last year I have had a few salivary gland stones (small ones in my sublingual duct) and in the last week some more severe pain in my lymph nodes. I have been following online advice to drink lots of water and suck on candy to get the saliva flowing but am also waiting to see a doctor about it as it is getting more frequent and worse every time... In researching this, I also discovered that people with salivary gland stones also frequently had locked jaw, which I have had for years, and symptoms related to or diagnosed with Sjogren's disease. I really don't think I have Sjogren's, but I have had dry eyes for years and my optometrist asked that I add artificial tears to me eyes daily. which helps. Finally, I have also had inflammed ear canals for years, which the doctor just keeps treating with drops ... All of these drops, and candy, and whatever help relieve the immediate discomfort or pain, but do nothing but mask a number of recurring issues that in my eyes are all related (the doctors don't seem to see it this way...)

Anyway, I've come across a few blogs where there seems to be some instance of celiac / gluten intolerance and these same symptoms so I was wondering if anyone else had any of these (especially a combination of these) and if going gluten free helped?

I will get tested for celiac in a few weeks but in the meantime... I'd like some relief and feedback!

Thank you!!

Hello Lacadienne.....your symptoms scream of Sjogren's Syndrome.  I have Sjogren's and although I don't know if what I had was caused by salivary stones, I used to get blocked salivary glands under my tongue.  This happened a few times and then stopped but I had all the classic symptoms of Sjogren's......extremely dry mouth and eyes, dental problems and some ear issues that have come back to haunt me in my older years.  I used to have numerous ear infections as a child and had to have tubes put in twice and now when allergy season gets bad, my ears bother me some.  Doctors are as bad at diagnosing Sjogren's as they with Celiac.  In fact, I figured it out myself and then when I got a new PCP, she wanted to do the blood work for Sjogren's so I said fine...but I have Sjogren's.  The test was positive.

Sjogren's can cause swelling in the parotid glands in the face and this is from inflammation from the autoimmune attack.  I would highly recommend the antibody blood work to test for it but keep in mind that you can still have Sjogren's but test negative on the antibody tests.  I would lean more heavily on symptoms that you have as an indicator.  The bigger problem is finding a doctor who isn't clueless and I think some people go to a rheumatologist for AI issues.  I just use my PCP because I dislike having a doctor for every organ.  ^_^

One more thing...yes, going gluten-free helped with symptoms but I went many years without a diagnosis for my problems so the damage that was already done will not go away but my symptoms are better.  I still chew gum for the dryness but my eyes are better and more comfortable than when I was eating gluten.  I am also a diagnosed Celiac.

I don't know about Sjogren's disease, I do know if your going to be tested for Celiac you need to be eating Gluten for a while!! You cannot stop then start for a few days thinking that will work. It just doesn't work that way!!