Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BelleVie

What Exactly Classifies As Diarrhea?

Hello everyone. Happy Friday! 

I recently started keeping a food diary to better track my reactions to various foods (it's been amazing so far...I've figured out that I'm also intolerant to bananas and eggs, and have seen a huge increase in energy since cutting them out.) In the diary, I'm also trying to keep track of the changes in my bowel habits. They seem to change just about daily. I am gluten free, but I believe I'm still getting some trace exposure here and there. Being gluten free in Asia is nearly impossible, at least in Korea, which is where I live. 

What I'm wondering is what exactly classifies as diarrhea? I often have BMs that are sticky/gluey and not well formed, but that sort of just "sit" in the toilet. These aren't exactly runny, per se, but they certainly are not well-formed stools like healthy ones are supposed to be. And sometimes I have urgency, which feels like it will be watery diarrhea, but when I go, my stool is halfway well formed, but floats. And then sometimes when I go, it's halfway formed, but has lots of loose particles as well, making things look cloudy. Does this "count" as diarrhea, or is there another way to describe it? (Technical terms are welcome, as I plan to use this information when I finally get the chance to meet with a GI in the U.S.) 

Sorry if this is TMI, but I figure folks around here are generally pretty open to discussing these things. :)

Thank you!  

Yeah "poopology" does not bother me  :lol: I made it my business to learn about the GI tract (no matter how ugly and gross it may be) so I could get well.

Diarrhea is very loose and watery and occurs frequently throughout the day.

Here are the "basics of diarrhea"

http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/digestive-diseases-diarrhea

I found good quality probiotics, fiber and drinking lots of water resolved my D issues. And being G F ...and time.

I had what are called "alternating bowels"--diarrhea or constipation--all of my life

but not any more. :)

I am surprised to hear it is hard to be G F in Asia because the cuisine is not really wheat-based. I would think it would be easier.

My friend's G F niece lives in So Korea and says she feels better living there.

Maybe you have other food intolerances and it is not gluten cc continuing to "get you"? 

(just  throwing ideas out there)

I do hope you start to feel better soon!

It's possible. Like I said, the food diary has been helping me to narrow done other intolerances. 

Actually, I find it very, very difficult to eat here. For starters, everything is cross contaminated, as soy sauce and barley is used in just about every dish. The diet is not wheat heavy, as in bread, but it's definitely gluten heavy with barley, soy sauce, and the red pepper paste used in EVERYTHING called "gochujang." My boyfriend and I typically prepare all of our meals. There's only one meal that I trust here, and that is a rice based one, but even that is tricky because you never know about CC or if they are going to put barley in the mix. :( 

Well, that's a huge bummer, sorry, hon. I wonder why there is so much use of barley. Strange ingredient to choose as thickener/binder..

anyway, I had a thought...can you mail order some G F soy sauce packets for your own use?

When will you be coming back to the States? soon? :) 

Haha, yes Irish Heart, I actually order lots of goodies from iherb.com. WONDERFUL and their international shipping is totally affordable! 

Coming back to the States...ah, sigh, yes, eventually, but alas I shall no longer have insurance there after the end of the year. I suppose it's time to look into the Affordable Care Act. As I've been gone for so long, I haven't really followed it too closely. 

Oh yeah! Irish Heart, I will hook you up! http://www.iherb.com/search?kw=gluten+free+cookies&x=0&y=0#p=1

I admit, I am so lucky I have a friend with a gluten-free bakery who makes enough cookies to make me chubby! LOL

I am so glad you can get some treats over there, hon! :)

Please try a good broad spectrum probiotic to see if you can get that D/loose bowel situation  under control.

How about this one? I have used it with good results and it can be shipped internationally, I think

http://www.iherb.com/Healthy-Origins-Probiotic-30-Billion-CFU-s-60-Vcaps/19518