Jump to content
  • Sign Up

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

seraphim

Need To Figure Out What In My Makeup I'm Allergic To

Recommended Posts

I may have a salicylic acid problem but it might be an allergy. I wanted my allergist to test me for allergy to the ingredients (they were all natural like chamomile, castor oil and Shea butter) but she said absolutely none were on her system to check on my blood test. I know many ppl who say they have allergies to such things. I don't know how I'm suppose to differentiate between allergy and sals. Does anyone know how I can get the possible ingredient allergy checked?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stop using the makeup.

 

Wait a week or so.

 

Try a small amount on the inside of your wrist.

 

If you get any bumps or itching, stop using it.

 

Multiple ingredients in makeup, food, or drinks  make it nearly impossible to tell which particular ingredient is causing the problem.

 

If you think salicyaltes are the problem, use salicylate free makeup. Cleure is good stuff.

 

http://www.cleure.com/Mineral-Makeup-s/203.htm

 

If you think you have allergies,  go see an allergist for skin prick IgE testing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stopped using the make up right away but keep getting hives and swellings until a few days ago. Not sure what that means. I was hoping there was a blood test to check since sals can give hives too. So frustrating. She said she could do a skin prick but I'm guessing that if I want to know which ingredient it is I should find each oil ingredient on their own and bring it all in to her. Unfortunately I had swelling start while waiting in the waiting room. Even though it says no food or drink they still had air freshener in the bathroom and some woman came in drenched in perfume....which really shocked me for an allergist office. I don't know if it was a coincidence I had the swelling while there or if something there triggered it. It would be hard to tell if I had a reaction unless it swells up in that particular spot. In my case with the lip gloss my lips didn't swell but a couple fingers did and hours later the bottoms of my feet. Usually happened in those spots without fail. Hives usually were on my elbows and knees.Again...every time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Allergies can be very weird. My allergy to tomatoes, for example, before my skin prick test, would cause my head, neck, and shoulders to feel like i had a very bad sunburn (that burning feeling) but there would be no marks. So when the test site for it became a large hive, there was no doubt.

 

But when in doubt with something or trying something new, the inside of the wrist test is the best way to go. I've also heard that parents have done this with checking infants for a peanut allergy by having done a test site and waiting a half hour or so to see (most major reactions that need emergency help generally occur within 30 minutes of exposure).

 

I cannot be around perfumes or anything that is smelly. I get a very bad headache, throat ache, and my eyes start to hurt. I also cannot go down the cleaning product isles in stores either and if i do I hold my breath and run to find what i need.

 

Also, if you do not do this already, it is always a good idea to have some benadryl on hand if you have allergies. In addition to this if you have a major reaction, an epi pen is a good idea as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes the allergist gave me a prescription for an epipen before we even had my test results. Just in case. I'm on the lookout for dye free gluten free DAIRY free antihistamine right now lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just saw this now but even though I've now told you in private I'll type it out a bit for the benefit of others who may read.

I'm allergic to milk, shrimp and cockroaches but that's all I know of. Hubby was drinking milk around me before we found out I was allergic late last week. So I guess if I'm sensitive to smelling it it could be that. My rast test listed milk as moderate and others very small reactions. My concern is the swelling started within a half hour of putting on the lipstick.

I have a history of being hypo but was never medicated after I needed to go gluten free I decided to see if it helped at all. They only tested my tsh and free t4 but really I need my free t3 checked to get a better idea of where I stand. It's just the timing I can't get past with the lipstick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you just talking about a one time thing?  You used the lipstick, it caused hives, so you stopped using the lipstick and the hives go away in a few days?  That would show there might be something in that lipstick. 

 

If you are having new hives weeks or months later, that is not the lipstick (unless you keep using it). 

 

I have never heard of someone with a milk allergy having a hard time if others drink it around them.  Are you saying that you want him to give up milk, cheese, ice cream & gluten because you seem to have an allergy or intolerance to them?  I would never ask that of my husband. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's an allergy. He doesn't want to have it because he's worried about contamination. Just like people not being able to have stuff that touched gluten. I've read hive reactions can last up to six weeks (longer for some). No idea if an allergy can trigger that but it started right after using it. There was really no pattern to when I got them except that they started at that moment. I will say though...no idea if it's a coincidence but my husband had a glass of milk with coffee mate in it one day and accidentally spilled it on the carpet. I was rushing to get paper towels and it accidentally soaked through my sock and onto my foot. I rinsed it off after a minute and called my grandpa as it was father's day. My feet had swelling within minutes of being on the phone.But this also happened on days when that didn't happen so I don't know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You really need to talk to the allergist about this.  I'm assuming she tested you for milk as a food not an environmental allergen.  Meaning, you are allergic to it if you eat it, not if a drop touches your foot or your poor husband uses a little in his coffee. 

 

I still don't understand the lipstick.  If you think it gave you hives, stop using it!  And if you stopped, it is not causing new hives.

 

I really think you are over-reacting a bit.  Not trying to be mean.  I hate to see you getting so anxious about a "moderate" allergy.  And since this is a Celiac forum, I think you might get better info on allergies (Celiac isn't an allergy) from your allergist.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got the result over the phone and was told she'd call tomorrow. My husband is worried he'll cross contaminate stuff I also use for food and make the allergy worse. The allergy is to the protein and as we know...even though it's a different kind of reaction...proteins can stick around on utensils. We're also very lovable and he hates having to be worried I'll give him a spontaneous kiss and something would happen.

I am new to allergies. I haven't even been given the chance to talk to her. All we know is for shrimp...smelling it being cooked can set people off. He decided to give up the milk until we know for sure. People are tested for food allergies all the time and can be set off from smelling things. I never kept using the lipstick no. But the only other constant that just stopped along with the hives is milk....so I dunno.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have environmental allergies, Celiac Disease and am severely intolerant of many foods and other environmental factors - to the point of anaphylaxis. 

 

The house is 99% gluten-free....my hubby carefully uses gluten-filled flour tortillas and hot dog buns occasionally -- oh and there are two sauces that have gluten in my frig -- those of us with celiac know which these are and avoid touching the bottle.

 

My family eats and uses any food/personal products that they are not personally allergic to.  We wash hands frequently and hubs brushes his teeth if he wants a kiss.  The rest of the time I try very hard not to focus on everything I cannot have and go on living each day.

 

Make an appointment with your allergist to discuss these issues -- bring a written list of questions!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I was not thrilled I couldn't talk to her till tomorrow. Sadly I may have reacted to something in her office. I itched and swelled up the morning I was there. Said no food or drink but someone walked in practically bathed in perfume. They also had air freshener...thought that was odd for an allergist office. She works for mt Sinai in nyc as well so I figured she must be good. A little confusing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...