Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zizzlebreath

Ruling Out Other Health Problems

What an excellent tool this forum is. I'm so happy to have come across it!

I've been having problems with gluten and I am just trying to rule out other health problems. Maybe someone can help?

When I eat even trace amounts of gluten, I get these attacks. Waves of heat and panic washing over me, nausea but never vomiting, have to lay down immediately, sometimes can't talk, my mind goes elsewhere and I confuse frighting daydreams with reality. This all happens for what I assume to be between 30 seconds and 2 minutes and then nothing for a long period of time, from 1 to 3 hours. Than it happens again. Always the same symptoms. Last night it happened 4 or 5 times (my memory is not always good when in the midst of it). For a few days after, I'm out of it, sleepy, unable to concentrate, and have this nervous feeling in my arms and chest.

Does this sound like anything anyone else has experienced? I've heard lots about panic attacks and gluten but this feels different because my mind is calm and my heart rate is regular.

It's also hard to know because I seem to react to such trace amounts that I can't always tell what the cause is. I'm fairly new to this gluten thing and have still been cooking with prepared products and eating in restaurants. Working to cut that stuff out.

Thanks! Any advice would be appreciated.

It sounds like you have neuro impact from gluten. That is not unusual. Your body is clearly telling you to avoid even trace amounts. Are you diagnosed? If you aren't and you need an official diagnosis for some reason make sure you do your challenge with a doctors supervision. If you think this may be something other than a gluten reaction you may want to consult a neurologist.

My psych symptoms never quite came in waves like that, but I barely remember the three weeks where I had to do my gluten challenge for my biopsy. Now that I'm gluten free, my head is a lot clearer and I feel like my ADD has gone away for the most part. 

If you want to get testing done for Celiac, be sure to do it before going gluten free. Just to put that out there.