Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scarletgrrrl

Endoscopy And Colonoscopy Tomorrow

Hi

I have my endoscopy and colonoscopy tomorrow. I strongly suspect I have celiac disease but I have had 2 blood tests. I hadn't been consuming gluten 12 weeks prior to either test. They didn't do the full celiac blood panel. I took the list into the doctor last time (my usual doctor was away) and he just looked at me and had no idea.

I went off gluten in march for 8 weeks and started to feel good by the end of it only to have to reintroduce it for this procedure tomorrow. I have been on gluten for most of the last 7 weeks. I had to stop for just over a week as I was on holiday in New Zealand. I still had to go to a doctor there: I had an ear infection and a  bad lung infection (all courtesy of gluten). I needed antibiotics. Every since I reintroduced gluten I have had respiratory problems with a nose constantly full of green snot. I haven't even been having much gluten every day. I am just so sensitive now. On saturday with the tests coming up, I had a bit more (a piece of bread, small piece of cake and some pasta), the next day I couldn't move. I had to lie in bed all day in pain.

I have to wait 4 weeks for my follow up visit. Will the gastro. give me any indication of what he sees on the day or will I just have to wait?

I really miss food. This day of liquids isn't easy. I am enjoying my broth though. :)

Scarletgrrrl

Hi Scarlettgrrl,

Occasionally a doctor will see damage and verify a suspicion of celiac right away, but villi damage is looked for by microscope later if I got that right.  I just want to say that I hope you will get definitive results.  As soon as testing is finished you can go gluten free!  No more challenges for you, I hope.

Get well Soon,  ***

D

Thanks D

I was first in to have the procedure. There was no damage visible to the naked eye, so I will have to wait 4 weeks for the biopsy results. Bummer I couldn't have an earlier appt but the doctor just got back from holidays.

When I finished the procedure, they made me a coffee and then gave me a cheese sandwich and some biscuits. All gluten! I was so hungry but not tempted to eat them. The gluten challenge has done enough damage for me to heal. A lady came past later and went to see if they had any gluten free ones and then found me a yoghurt.

S