Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rowena

A Few Questions

1.  The IgG, IgA, IgM blood test... that's the one for gluten right?

2.  What do these scores mean? (Bold are my scores, non are the normal ranges)

IGA 44-441 120  IGG 700-1600 1452 IGM 50-300 80

3.  Last time I was glutened was over 3 months ago... so that should affect my scores right if I've been gluten-free?

hi Rowena,

1) the tests for celiac are

Comprehensive Celiac Panel:

DGP iga/igg

ttg iga/igg

EMA

Total iga serum-this is a control test to make sure you make enough iga to validate the other testing

check out page 12 in this report for testing information:

http://www.worldgastroenterology.org/assets/export/userfiles/2012_Celiac%20Disease_long_FINAL.pdf

2) your scores are all total serum results of IGA, IGG and IGM antibodies.  Total serum iga is checked during a celiac panel to make sure you produce enough iga to validate the other results.  Your body produces adequate amounts of all these antibodies.  These tests are not diagnostic of celiac itself and are not affected by gluten intake.  The next link is to a kids page, but I think it explains the different types of antibodies well:

3) the tests you had run are not affected by gluten.  the ones I listed at the top will be.

hope this helps!

1.  The IgG, IgA, IgM blood test... that's the one for gluten right?

2.  What do these scores mean? (Bold are my scores, non are the normal ranges)

IGA 44-441 120  IGG 700-1600 1452 IGM 50-300 80

3.  Last time I was glutened was over 3 months ago... so that should affect my scores right if I've been gluten-free?

okay so based on your answers, they only did one of the comprehensive Celiac panel - (I think) for which I got the results today.  At least they posted them today...  I can't figure out what it means though based on the information you gave me.  This is what they say I got... with no 'Normal Range' listed.... Help?

Tissue Transglutaminase Ab, IgA.  

You'll need a normal range to interpret that result. Some ranges go to 20, others to 10, and some deal with decimals - it really varies from lab to lab. Perhaps you can contact that lab and ask for the reference range?

If you have been gluten-free for a long time and have largely healed and recovered, I doubt being glutened three months ago will affect your labs much. If you are early into recovery, I'm guessing that gluten will spike a longer lasting autoimmune response more easily... but that's a guess.